Photographic Competition Rules
- All images must be in a digital format. We will only accept images in JPG or TIFF format. Images may be from digital or film original captures. If entering by post, your images should be on a memory stick, CD or DVD.
- You must not enter images which have been published previously in print.
- You must not enter images which have been entered previously into any AGS photo competition, including Artistic Sections at AGS shows.
- Photos may have been taken many years ago, provided that they meet rules 2 & 3 above – you do not need to have taken them this year.
- Any current AGS member may enter the Photographic Competition.
- If you and your partner have a family membership, you may each enter the competition separately under your own name.
- Each member may enter a maximum of three photographs per class.
- Photograph filenames must include the entry class, the name of the subject (the plant, animal or place) and the photographer’s name. You must send a separate email or written document which tells us which image files you have sent, when and where each photograph was taken and, for class 8 only, the type of digital manipulation used (if any). If you don’t know how to rename files, please send these details in writing along with your photos, so that the Competition Secretary can assign the correct filenames for you. Please be clear about which file needs to have which name.
- Your photograph should be at least 1500 pixels wide x 1000 pixels high (and preferably original capture resolution) for judging, displaying and printing purposes.
- If our judges select your photograph, the competition secretary may approach you to ask for details of the camera settings (usually stored in the image properties), in particular focal length, aperture and exposure. Competition entrants agree to give the judges extra information about their photographs if requested. In addition, you will be asked to submit a full resolution version for publication.
- Entries in Classes 1-7 and 9 must be ‘natural pictures’ free from digital manipulation, though simple digital processing is allowed. You are allowed to make subtle changes in colour balance, exposure and sharpening as part of normal digital processing. You are not allowed to remove or replace significant image features including the background.
- For Class 8 only, digital manipulation is allowed. With your entry, you should state clearly any software manipulation that has been performed. You may only use material that is the intellectual property of the entrant. We will judge Class 8 for uniqueness and artistic quality only, but the chosen subject(s) should portray some alpine element(s).
- Medal points can not be claimed retrospectively by previous winners of the Photographic Competition.
- Competitors acknowledge that the Alpine Garden Society cannot accept responsibility for the loss of, or damage to, entries sent through the post or subsequently handled by its agents.
- Entries must be submitted by 11:59pm (GMT) on the Competition Deadline Date to be considered by the judges.
Use of Images
By submitting your photographs to the Photographic Competition, you agree for them to be utilised across official AGS channels (print, digital and social media) to promote the Society. We will not share your images with third parties without your consent.
The winning entries and some runners-up will be collated in a presentation given at AGS shows and other events.
Any entries posted on the AGS website and digital media will be in a low-resolution format to discourage unauthorised copying.
Problems or Questions?
We’re friendly! Please don’t hesitate to email us if you need any help – whether in choosing the right class for your photo or overcoming technical glitches with WeTransfer.
Just send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org