Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Summer Bulbs 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 12 September 2015, 13:03. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 5:    1   2   3   (4)   5   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 31 August 2015, 15:22top / bottom of page
Haemanthus incarnatus

A few of the later Haemanthus are appearing.  This is the most regular flowerer of all.

Haemanthus incarnatus
Cyrtanthus sanguineus

Finally, the fabulously exotic Cyrtanthus sanguineus has produced a scape of flowers.  Much the same colour as C. elatus, but the shape and texture of the petals puts it a rung higher up the ladder for me.

Cyrtanthus sanguineus

Contribution from Margaret Young 02 September 2015, 18:54top / bottom of page

Some super plants in this report, Jon. I have to say that with the wet windy summer it has been in many parts,  the joy of growing unger glass will have been more appreciated than in some years! I hardly feel it to have been a  "real" summer - and now we are into September, the chances of a "catch-up" are slim.

M. 

Contribution from Doreen Mear 03 September 2015, 09:38top / bottom of page

Jon: This is what I grow as Zephyranthes rosea. Not well up on these rain lilies but if it looks like the real thing to you and you would like some seed, I have some in the fridge I can let you have (waiting to be sent to the AGS for the seed exchange actually!)

Contribution from Jon Evans 12 September 2015, 10:32top / bottom of page

What a fabulous plant that is!  When I grew Z. rosea before it was a little taller (2-3in), but a similar colour and shape.  I think the difference in stature can be put down to culture - mine were in a semi-shaded greenhouse.

Haemanthus incarnatus

Looking at some of the things that have flowered in the first half of September, this Haemanthus was lovely, but is now going over.  I am a bit puzzled by this one; H. incarnatus is supposed to have been subsumed within H. coccineus, but this plant doesn't have the large bracts typical of the latter.

Haemanthus incarnatus
Haemanthus coccineus var coarctatus

This Haemanthus has produced two flowers this year.  I think the two really hot weeks we had this year must have helped them.

Haemanthus coccineus var coarctatus
Haemanthus buds

Two more Haemanthus are budding - H. sanguineus and H. King Albert.  That means that all my established, non-seedling bulbs will have flowered this year.

Haemanthus buds
Calochortus barbatus

Also in the greenhouse, C. barbatus is flowering very late this year.  It was out on the patio, and got mowed to the ground by molluscs about the time it normally flowers in mid-July.

Calochortus barbatus
Cyclamen graecum

My C. graecum are starting to flower.  They are not quite up to the standard of the wonderful specimens we see on the show bench, but I seem to have learnt how to get them to flower reliably, and I am very pleased with them.

Cyclamen graecum
Hannonia hesperidum

The rare Hannonia hesperidum from North Africa has two flower scapes for the first time - another bulb which enjoyed the brief heat wave.  Normally regarded as 'for botanical interest only', but I think the very delicate flowers are lovely.

Hannonia hesperidum
Massonia seedlings

Massonia seedlings are springing into life everywhere - older bulbs seem slightly slower to awake from dormancy.

Massonia seedlings
Oxalis speciosa

This pot of yellow oxalis has performed well this year, but it will be over before the Kent show.

Oxalis speciosa
Strumaria aestivalis

This little strumaria is still going strong.  I'm not sure whether it is named correctly.

Strumaria aestivalis
Urginea undulata

The Urginea undulata has started to produce two rosettes of leaves that are the main reason I grow it.

Urginea undulata
Tulbaghia violacea subsp mcmasteri

There are more flowers out now on this tulbaghia grown from seed.

Tulbaghia violacea subsp mcmasteri

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 5:    1   2   3   (4)   5   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Summer Bulbs 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion