Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Geophytic Pelargoniums

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Yann DUPONT, 13 June 2014, 21:09. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 07 June 2014, 20:34top / bottom of page
Pelargonium species

An unknown species from section Polyactium

Pelargonium species
Pelargonium species

Another unknown species, this time from section Hoarea, and a real beauty.

Pelargonium species
Pelargonium stipulaceum
Pelargonium stipulaceum
Pelargonium triste

Finally, a fabulous silver-leaved form of P. triste.  I have a few plants of this I grew from seed many years ago, but would happily throw them all away if I could get hold of this form.

Pelargonium triste

Contribution from Tim Ingram 08 June 2014, 08:28top / bottom of page

Jon - it's so very interesting to see species pelargoniums like this; hardly know them at all and the flowers are delicate and beautiful compared with the more blowsy horticultural 'geraniums'. I wonder if anyone is growing the S. African heaths in the same way as they used to be many years ago? Both of these genera would be fascinating to see more of, and I could imagine a few appearing at the Shows every now and again to test the boundaries! There must be a few that come from very similar climates to bulbs that are grown and displayed regularly.

Contribution from Jon Evans 08 June 2014, 20:38top / bottom of page

Hi Tim

I'm glad you found this interesting; I think these species make very attractive plants.

Julian and Sarah Sutton of Desirable Plants grow a number of South African Ericas, and usually offer a few each year.

Contribution from Martin Sheader 10 June 2014, 13:03top / bottom of page

Hi Jon,

We have grown and grow a few geophytic pelargoniums. They survive well in an unheated greenhouse and a couple of species flowered well this year - we almost took one to Summer South show.

I like your unnamed species - very floriferous!

Pelargonum oblongatum (Section Hoarea) looked good this year. For us it loses its leaves before flowering, though I have seen images where leaves are retained.

Contribution from Jon Evans 10 June 2014, 17:49top / bottom of page

Hi Martin

Thanks for posting that - another very attractive species.

Contribution from Yann DUPONT 13 June 2014, 21:09top / bottom of page

Yes, these pelargonium are striking.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

This discussion Thread: Geophytic Pelargoniums - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion