Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Flowering in September

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 06 October 2011, 11:17. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 19 September 2011, 14:47top / bottom of page

Finally, another look at the two Haemanthus, now fully out; Haemanthus incarnatus and H. barkerae.

On another note, an experiment this year has proved successful. I have grown several winter-growing Ipheion / Tristagma species for a number of years, but for the last two or three years many of them have stayed resolutely dormant through the winter, including Ipheion sessile and Ipheion dialystemon. The only change in culture I could identify was that I had moved them from the top shelf of the greenhouse (where they were very exposed in the hard frosts we have experienced in the last few years), down into the sand plunge on the main bench. After two years with no top growth at all, I decided to put them back up on the shelf this summer, where they would dry out more thoroughly. I watered them at the beginning of September with most of the other bulbs, and all the pots on the shelf have now produced green shoots. I don't recommend this without reservation; these pots haven't been baked hard, but the opportunity to dry out properly during the summer followed by a good drenching seems to have broken the 2-3 year dormancy.

Contribution from Jon Evans 06 October 2011, 11:17top / bottom of page
Geranium papuanum

My thanks to Maggi Young and the helpful forumists of the SRGC, who discussed the identity of the geranium show on the previous page yesterday. The name G. papuanum rings a very loud bell, and I am sure that is what it came to me as, though I cannot be sure that it is not in fact G. Bertie Crug which is a hybrid between G. papuanum and G. endressii. I am still trying to propagate it; some of the stolons which do not root naturally are now weighted down with stones.

If anyone (Mark Smyth) would like a bit of the Helianthus this winter, when I will need to curb its spread a little, all they need to do is send me their name and address privately; my email address is on the London Show schedule here http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/shows/handbook/pdfschedules/London.pdf

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

This discussion Thread: Flowering in September - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion