Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Slovenian Alps

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Kranjska Gora in late May

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 24 October 2010, 10:24. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 5 of 5:    1   2   3   4   (5)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 03 June 2010, 10:21top / bottom of page

Last day, set out to explore a 'famous' waterfall

Contribution from Susan Read 03 June 2010, 10:57top / bottom of page

Plenty of path signs here. Tried a path on other side of Falls, where in deep shoadow there were a number of birdsnest orchids, Neottia nidus-avis. Returning along a stretch of the old railway (a cycle path) there were orchids I believe to be Orchis militaris.

Burnt orchid with yellow rattle, here as a meadow plant

Salvia pratensis. The meadows were very species rich here with variation, perhaps according to dampness or cutting regime. The old railway embankments provided another habitat, often with sheets of convallaria and solomons seal.

I could go on and on: apologies if this was too long for some people but have not had time to be more selective! It was a 1 week late deal in nice hotel but one must expect an attic room when looking for a bargain.

Contribution from Susan Read 04 June 2010, 08:54top / bottom of page

Have added cropped picture of orchid from day 1, to help if anyone can identify. Camera has lightened colour slightly

Another near by was going over.

Contribution from Tony Goode 12 October 2010, 19:52top / bottom of page
Pink Orchid - day1

Nice thread Susan. I have been thinking of going to this area and your information is useful.

Perhaps that pink orchid is Dactylorhiza sambucina? It looks similar to plants I have seen in the pyrenees and the flowering time is about right.

Contribution from Susan Read 24 October 2010, 10:24top / bottom of page

Thanks, I think you are right. It does fit the Delforge description but I did not immediately recognise it as it was quite a bit larger than those I have seen in Austria.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 5 of 5:    1   2   3   4   (5)   previous

This discussion Thread: Slovenian Alps - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion