Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: April

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Tim Ingram

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 29 April 2013, 15:46. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 4:    1   2   3   (4)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 23 April 2013, 11:28top / bottom of page

(My apologies by the way for the few hiccups - I have discovered no way of editing out mistakes, so like the weeds in the garden they remain to annoy)

Contribution from Tim Ingram 23 April 2013, 12:24top / bottom of page
The bulb bed

There is so much going on in the garden now, that it really needs a number of instalments. Much as the woodland plants look their best when allowed to merge and self-seed together, bulbs look stunning when combined in one area in the garden - the ultimate example is the amazing bulb-walk at Sissinghurst which was and is created over decades of careful addition and subtraction, and includes no-bulbous plants like pulsatillas, primroses, euphorbias and a few others. At its height in spring I don't think there can be a planting to compare with it anywhere, and it would be true to say that it is a work of art. This is all by way of preamble for our relatively feeble attempt to make something similar in a small circular bed in the middle of the lawn. Maybe in 20 years time... None the less there are some very nice plants flowering - Fritillaria kotschyana came from Kath Dryden and is steadily building up; the second picture shows it at the bottom, before the tulips have really got going. What the bed needs is a lot more small medium-late narcissi to contrast with the tulips; early on and now it has many muscari and anemones. The beauty of Sissinghurst is the natural association of plants and this particularly dark-blue anemone has combined with a red euphorbia to good effect. The pale-pink anemone is a seedling that has cropped up on the sand bed from some of the pink and white forms that I have shown earlier. This might be nice moved to the bulb bed.

The bulb bed

Pulsatillas also associate well here - a pink form of P. vulgaris and the really sumptuous P. halleri. This bed gets top-dressed with plentiful barrowloads of pea gravel after the plants have died down in the winter, so surface drainage becomes better year by year, and steadily more and more plants get incorporated. In this sense it is very much like a 'painting' (more so than any other part of the garden), but maybe a long way from a 'Monet'!

Contribution from Jon Evans 29 April 2013, 15:46top / bottom of page

Since I didn't go to a show on Saturday (Ulster seemed just a little too far), here are a few pictures of my front garden in the sunshine, while I was supposed to be weeding. It is pulsatilla season again; they always look well mixed with the primroses and cowslips.

Compare these with the pictures taken in frost just three weeks ago.

The 'woodland' area is also full of flowers, but also perennial grass which is going to be a pain to remove - I dug it all out this time last year, and behold - it is worse now than it was then.

Finally some tulips. These seem to do quite well on my clay. The second is Angelique, and the third Flaming Angelique. The difference is supposed to be in the amount of red, but I'm not sure there is a very clear distinction.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 4:    1   2   3   (4)   previous

This discussion Thread: April - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion