Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Alpines in the garden are flowering early this year.

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Paul Lewis

Go to latest contribution by Paul Lewis, 03 May 2012, 07:52. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 3:    1   2   (3)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Paul Lewis 19 April 2012, 08:23top / bottom of page

Veronica armena

A drift of the lovely Narcissus hawera

Rhodanthemum catananche 'Tizi-n-Tichka'

Contribution from Paul Lewis 19 April 2012, 08:39top / bottom of page

Erigeron aureus 'The Giant', flowering on the crevice bed.

Dianthus 'Conwy Star' from Keith Lever's excellent nursery, flowering on the crevice bed.

Androsace laevigata on the crevice bed.

Androsace sempervivoides 'Susan Joan' on the crevice bed.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 27 April 2012, 09:21top / bottom of page

Paul - it's really interesting to see the plants you are growing, especially after meeting you at our garden opening last Sunday. It will be fascinating to watch the planting develop. Have you seen the seven axioms of planting a rock garden proposed by Panayoti Kelaidis in the latest North American Rock Garden Quarterly? They seem obvious but not many gardeners make rock gardens so attractive as he pictures! Great scope for experiment.

Contribution from Paul Lewis 30 April 2012, 12:07top / bottom of page

Hello Tim

I haven't seen the article you mention as I don't subscribe to NARGS. Is it available online anywhere? How is your sand bed after all the torrential rain?

Paul

Contribution from Tim Ingram 30 April 2012, 17:25top / bottom of page

The bed drains perfectly even though at ground level - fortunately we have well drained soil naturally, if heavier I would have definitely raised the bed.

No Panayoti Kelaidis' article is not available online, though he does have a regular blog, connected to the Denver Botanic Garden. His fundamental conclusion is how individually unique rock gardens are compared to say a perennial border, and this must be to do with the way we view alpine plants individually, and also the scale. A steppe garden or gravel garden (or, at an extreme, 'desert' garden, like that at East Ruston) has similarities because plants are widely spaced and their form is even more distinctive than many alpines. There is a lovely saying from the American garden writer Elizabeth Lawrence, that I have quoted before, which is that 'every gardener eventually becomes a rock gardener', and I think it is because of that strong individual appreciation of the plants.

Contribution from Paul Lewis 03 May 2012, 07:52top / bottom of page

Hello again Tim. Talking of growing alpines in the garden, I have recently added some links on my website to various other sites of interest. One of the sites is for a Czech Republic alpine gardener, Vladislav Piatek. He supplies seeds for alpines and on his site there are a huge number of pictures of his own garden. If you have not seen his site it is worth checking out. He grows some mouthwatering alpines and all in the open garden. I guess the Czech Republic has a slightly more agreeable climate for alpines, given the continental dry summer and cold winters.

Here's the link:-

http://www.alpine-seeds.com/garden.html

Regards Paul

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 3:    1   2   (3)   previous

This discussion Thread: Alpines in the garden are flowering early this year. - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion