Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: South West Show 2010 Formal Photos

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 29 March 2010, 16:55. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 29 March 2010, 16:55top / bottom of page
Dionysias

Exeter was dominated by dionysias and fritillaries. Before I start posting new pictures, I ought to name the dionysias from the two 3-pans (I don't have notes of the plants in the 6-pan exhibits, or I would add those too).

Class 43

Paul and Gill's three dionysias in class 43 (3 pans rock plants, any one genus) were (left to right):

Dionysia Ewesley Legacy

Dionysia Geist (best plant in 19cm pot)

Dionysia PMR-JM97120/49/0209

Class 43
Class 9

The three dionysias in class 9 were (again left to right):

Dionysia Goteborg (freitagii x viscidula)

Dionysia Andreas (Certificate of Merit)

Dionysia tapetodes JRDE2

Class 9
Dionysia viscidula

There were many more besides; this is Dionysia viscidula - another red sticker for Paul and Gill in Class 10.

Dionysia viscidula
Saxifraga Lismore Carmine

Exhibited by David Hoare. Although when I mention David, we all think of huge domes of flowers, he also brought some immaculate smaller plants. This one was in his winning entry in class 74 for three plants with cultural information.

Saxifraga Lismore Carmine
Saxifraga quadrifaria

Another unusual saxifrage from Eric Jarrett, following on from his S. scardica at Kent.

Saxifraga quadrifaria
Saxifraga frederici-augusti grisebachii

I saw this plant when Jim Almond was photographing it; previously, I have never found it appealing, but this small specimen from Alan and Janet Cook had an air of distinction which set it apart.

Saxifraga frederici-augusti grisebachii
Primula allionii Crusader

Sticking with the cushion theme, I come to this huge and magnificent primula, which won the Farrer Medal for Mike and Christine Brown at the East Lancs Show last year.

Ironically, David Philbey and I were at the Kent Show that day, and on the way home he was complaining that (he believed) a Primula allionii would never again win a Farrer.

Primula allionii Crusader
Draba polytricha

Exhibited by Cyril Dart. More cushions, the first drabas of the year. This lovely plant won the large Brassicaceae class for Cyril.

Draba polytricha
Draba subacaulis

Not content with that, Cyril also won the small pan class, with this specimen.

Draba subacaulis
Draba ossetica

A close runner-up from Lee and Julie Martin

Draba ossetica
Androsace ciliata

The last plant I photographed which could be considered a cushion by those pesky nieces was this one, exhibited by Eric Jarrett

Androsace ciliata
Jovibarba heuffellii 'Elmos Fire'

Exhibited by Howard and Sally Wills. Definitely NOT a cushion.

Jovibarba heuffellii 'Elmos Fire'
Oresitrophe rupifraga

Exhibited by Robin White. A quick round up of some other plants I photographed, before I move on to the bulbous classes. This plant had developed quite a lot since the Kent Show, but it is still lovely and I make no apology for taking and showing you more pictures of it.

Oresitrophe rupifraga
Hepatica Millstream Merlin

Exhibited by Ivor Betteridge.

Hepatica Millstream Merlin
Anemone caucasica

Exhibited by Joy Bishop; runner up to the Hepatica above. This little relative of Anemone blanda can be tricky to grow and flower, especially in a pot.

Anemone caucasica
Ranunculus caladrinioides

Always a fabulous plant to photograph; this one was exhibited by Douglas Forsyth. I hope he is feeling better after fainting at the show.

Ranunculus caladrinioides
Anacamptis longicornu

A couple of orchids now, exhibited by Richard Manuel. These still don't count as bulbous, for anyone new to these shows.

Anacamptis longicornu

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

This discussion Thread: South West Show 2010 Formal Photos - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion