Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Pershore Show 1st July

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Martin Rogerson

Go to latest contribution by Lawrence Peet, 06 July 2017, 19:30. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 6 of 8:    1   2   3   4   5   (6)   7   8   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 05 July 2017, 11:05top / bottom of page
Abies lasiocarpa Duflon

I always try to include a few plants from the non-flowering classes, and this desperately slow little conifer, exhibited by Vic and Jan Aspland, always appeals to me.

Abies lasiocarpa Duflon
Juniper horizontalis Neumann

David Richards' big juniper won the Glebelands Trophy, now awarded for the best foliage plant, rather than the 'wierdest plant' which the judges found too challenging to select.  This year I might have chosen the Cephalotus as the wierdest.

Juniper horizontalis Neumann
Dryopteris erythrosova

I was very taken with the striking colour of this fern exhibited by Brenda Nickels.

Dryopteris erythrosova
Gymnocarpium dryopteris

Caroline Jackson-Houlston won the aggregate in the open Artistic section.  Although this wasn't one of her winning paintings, it was one I didn't recall seeing before. [Because there hasn't been an artistic section at Pershore before, paintings which have been exhibited before at other shows in previous years are admissible entries.]

Gymnocarpium dryopteris
Abrotanella forsterioides

The heaviest plant I carried all day was this huge cushion of Abrotanella from Tasmania, exhibited by Chris Bowyer.

Abrotanella forsterioides
Graptopetalum bellum

One of the joys of the mid-summer shows is the opportunity to see the shocking pink of this little succulent (formerly Tacitus bellus).  I thought this plant exhibited by Anne Vale was grown particularly well.

Graptopetalum bellum
Sedum zentaro-tashiroi

Chris Bowyer was awarded a Certificate of Merit, and a Preliminary Commendation from JRGC, for this surprisingly heavy pan of sedum.

Sedum zentaro-tashiroi
Sempervivum Mulberry Wine

In the Novice section, Lance Carless won both the Dudfield Cup for the aggregate, and the Wessex Water Trophy for the best plant with this Sempervivum.

Sempervivum Mulberry Wine
Hesperoyucca whipplei subsp parishii (?)

Another succulent which I thought would make an interesting picture, again exhibited by Chris Bowyer.

Hesperoyucca whipplei subsp parishii (?)

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 6 of 8:    1   2   3   4   5   (6)   7   8   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Pershore Show 1st July - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion