Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Midland Show 2016

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Don Peace

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 22 April 2016, 12:37. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 7:    1   2   (3)   4   5   6   7   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 21 April 2016, 21:40top / bottom of page
Saxifraga felineri

Geoff Rollinson also received a Certificate of Merit for the lovely, rare, and I suspect difficult S. felineri from the Picos de Europa.  

Saxifraga felineri
Anisotome imbricata var imbricata

The last plant I photographed grown by Geoff Rollinson was this pan of Anisotome, which I selected because I wanted to photograph the flowers.

Anisotome imbricata var imbricata
Draba longisiliqua

Eric Jarrett will tell you that the warm damp winter has caused him terrible problems, and like most of the dionysia growers in southern England he has a long list of losses, but he still managed to turn up with this fine dome of Draba, overlooked for award by the judges because they felt the petals were dropping too much, and it was perhaps a day or two past its best.

Draba longisiliqua
Iris ewbankiana

Eric Jarrett also brought this exquisite little Oncocyclus iris.  The name is apparently synonymous with I. acutiloba subsp. lineolata, but the plant exhibited was much smaller and more delicate than those normally exhibited under that name.  I suspect few visitors to the show even noticed it, for it aroused a flurry of interest when I took it to my photography bench.

Iris ewbankiana
Dionysia caespitosa x gaubae

One final plant from Eric Jarrett; clearly a few dionysias have survived the winter cull, and this one was awarded a Certificate of Merit.

Dionysia hybrid (D. caespitosa x gaubae)
Dionysia Inka Gold

Paul and Gill Ranson also had dionysias to exhibit for pretty much the first time this season.  This plant of D. Inka Gold is not as large or as impressive as the one Paul exhibited last year, but clearly the backup plants are starting to fill the gaps in his collection.

Dionysia hybrid 'Inka Gold' MK0353/2
Dionysia Purple Splendour

This plant with seedling number JM-MK9907-102, an f2 hybrid from D. bryoides was also exhibited by Paul and Gill Ranson.

Dionysia hybrid 'Purple Splendour' JM-MK9907/102
Dionysia sarvestanica subsp spathulata T4Z1044

One final plant from Paul and Gill Ranson - one of the species more recently arrived in cultivation.

Dionysia sarvestanica subsp spathulata T4Z1044
Androsace carnea x pyrenaica

Normally by the Midland Show the Primulaceae classes are starting to be dominated by Androsace, but apart from Geoff Rollinson's A. villosa taurica, and an odd pan of A. vandelii, there weren't many to be seen.  This neat exhibit of A. carnea x. pyrenaica was exhibited in the Novice Section by Lesley Travis, who won the Perry Cup for the aggregate for that section.

Androsace carnea x pyrenaica
Cyclamen rhodium subsp peloponnesiacum f albiflorum

Also from the Novice section was this attractive form of Cyclamen rhodium exhibited by Denise Bridges.

Cyclamen rhodium subsp peloponnesiacum f albifloru
Cyclamen rhodium subsp peloponnesiacum f albiflorum

Ian Robertson exhibited the same plant in the Open Section, deceiving the unwary with a passing resemblance to C. creticum.

Cyclamen rhodium subsp peloponnesiacum f albifloru
Cyclamen persicum f puniceum

Ian Robertson also exhibited this lovely deep pink form of Cyclamen persicum, which I can remember at the London show in previous years.

Cyclamen persicum f puniceum
Primula Allen Jo

There were still European primula hybrids in evidence, some of which make regular appearances at this show, such as P. Allen Jo exhibited by Tommy Anderson.

Primula Allen Jo

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 7:    1   2   (3)   4   5   6   7   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Midland Show 2016 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion