Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: HARLOW SHOW

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: David Hoare

Go to latest contribution by Tony Goode, 05 March 2010, 10:20. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 3:    1   2   (3)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 28 February 2010, 14:55top / bottom of page
Asarum trigynum album

Exhibited by Cecilia Coller

Asarum trigynum album
Helleborus thibetanus

Exhibited by Rosina Abbiss

There is a picture of the full plant in the Show Gallery ? here are some close-ups.

Helleborus thibetanus

Contribution from Colin Dolding 28 February 2010, 19:59top / bottom of page

Thank you to David and Jon for posting so many great images. Although the quantity of plants was reduced, the quality was fantastic with a good array of snowdrops in the show and for sale. Keith Lever had a large 'trough' full of Narcissus cyclamineus on his stand which were very striking and, as usual, well presented.

Thank you to Kit and her team for making us all welcome and for all the organisation.

Contribution from Chris McGregor 28 February 2010, 21:33top / bottom of page

I would also like to add my thanks to David and Jon for their picures. It is good to be able to see the show highlights again - there were some plants that I didn't have time to see on the day.

Grateful thanks to Kit and her team of helpers, including all the kitchen staff who provided the refreshments for visitors - including some memorable chocolate cake that was worth every penny!

Contribution from Val Lee 01 March 2010, 16:56top / bottom of page

I would like to add my thanks to one and all for making the Early Spring Show yet another successful day. Thank you Kit and all your team, you did a great job. I was very sorry not to be with you all this year, but hopefully I will be there for the day in 2011. Thanks also to David for giving me a view of the hall, it is always the first thing I look for, and to David and Jon for all the excellent pictures of even more wonderful plants on the bench. Congratulations to Lee & Julie for their Farrer Medal winning Iris - in spite of the weather - and to all the other prize winners and exhibitors who made the show possible. Last but not least thanks to all the people who sustained everyone throughout the day, I was so sorry to miss the delicious chocolate cake - Val

Contribution from Luc Gilgemyn 03 March 2010, 09:37top / bottom of page

May I also add my thanks for the magnificent pictures of the show and to all the people involved to stage it !

We had a grand day once again and it was great fun meeting old and new friends !

Contribution from Tony Goode 05 March 2010, 09:59top / bottom of page
re: Crocus vernus neapolitanus

Jon Evans notes that the plant Julie and Lee exhibited at Harlow look like one seen at Caerleon as Crocus reticulatus.

I have several accessions which are very similar/the same. None of them is correctly named and neither are the plants pictured! Crocus napolitanus is an invalid synonym for Crocus vernus ssp vernus. It is typically purple with waxy petals, larger than the flowers on the bench and one of my favourites. The plant on the benches is a very vigorous but otherwise poor form of Crocus vernus, probably ssp albiflorus. It is offered in SRGC seed-ex every year as C reticulatus.

Crocus reticulatus
Crocus reticulatus
Crocus vernus vernus Napolitanus
Crocus vernus vernus Napolitanus
Crocus vernus albiflorus

Here is a form similar to the one seen at shows.

Crocus vernus albiflorus

Contribution from Tony Goode 05 March 2010, 10:20top / bottom of page

Note the spelling 'Napolitanus' no 'e'.

On a final positive note the form I have purporting to be Crocus vernus 'Napolitanus' came from AGS seed exchange in sown 1992. It ha sbeen exhibited .... at Morecambe about 15 years ago, got a first when I was in C section!

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 3:    1   2   (3)   previous

This discussion Thread: HARLOW SHOW - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion