Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Caerleon Show - 12 February 2011

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Judy Rhymes

Go to latest contribution by David Nicholson, 14 February 2011, 19:00. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Judy Rhymes 11 February 2011, 13:00top / bottom of page

I'm looking forward to this Show - it is a lovely drive down and I am always hopeful of seeing some red kites flying overhead - no luck so far, but about eight buzzards in a field one year.

There should be lots of colour on the show benches from the spring bulbs, and if the sun is shining that is a bonus.

We will be selling AGS seed at the show, so hope lots of folk will come along to 'seed' what is available! (and buy, of course).

Contribution from Judy Rhymes 13 February 2011, 10:24top / bottom of page

I only managed to take a couple of photographs at the Show - I was too busy selling seed.

The Farrer medal went to Ian Robertson with a lovely pan of Cyclamen alpinum.

Contribution from Jon Evans 13 February 2011, 21:11top / bottom of page

After two days of rain, the clouds were clearing as we journeyed to Caerleon on Saturday morning for the South Wales Show, the car weighed down with stands and prints for an exhibit of ?Formal Portraits of Alpines?, intended to provide some colour and interest, in case the plants were lacking after a hard winter. In the event, I need not have been concerned about the number of plants; although not as burdened as those of a main season spring show, the benches carried plenty of interesting and colourful plants; nevertheless my exhibit was welcome, and well received.

Despite a last minute panic last weekend about the location of the show computer, everything was in order, and the show organisation was as efficient as ever. Bob and Rannveig Wallis were ably backed up by friendly and helpful members from the local group, and I am sure all the visitors had a great day.

The large and varied selection of plants meant a busy day for the show photographer; you can find me captured in a snap on the SRGC forum, frowning with concentration as I carry a small pot containing a dionysia, and rather betraying my past as a former prop-forward. Best not to see the faces I pulled when carrying some of the larger exhibits from the other end of the hall.

Cyclamen alpinum exhibited by Ian Robertson

Catching everyone?s eye, on the front bench as you entered the hall, was a wonderful Cyclamen alpinum, exhibited by Ian Robertson, a worthy winner of the Farrer Medal.

Cyclamen alpinum exhibited by Ian Robertson
Snowdrops

As always, this show was full of snowdrops, the early date giving the galanthophiles a chance to demonstrate what a good display these plants can make on a show bench. In the Open section there were many huge pans, filled with bulbs; Bob and Rannveig Wallis won class 17 with a three-pan entry, the last of which went on to win the Galanthus Goblet. Do not be deceived by the size of the flowers, which are very large; this is a large (and heavy) panful.

Galanthus Corrin

The unusual Galanthus Walrus

Galanthus Ione Hecker (Mighty Atom Group)

Snowdrops

Elsewhere, smaller pans contained much promise for the future:

Galanthus nivalis Sandersii Group exhibited by Ruth and Alan Jones

Galanthus koenenianus exhibited by Joy Bishop

Galanthus koenenianus x. fosteri exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis

Galanthus lagodechianus exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis

Crocus

As last year, there were some wonderful small pans of crocuses exhibited at the show. Here are:

Crocus biflorus ssp. nubigena exhibited by Robert Rolfe, awarded a Certificate of Merit

Crocus sieberi PJC215 exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis

Crocus cvijicii exhibited by George Elder

Crocus

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: Caerleon Show - 12 February 2011 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion