Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Bakewell Show 4th June 2017

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Ian Instone, 07 June 2017, 20:40. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 6 of 6:    1   2   3   4   5   (6)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 06 June 2017, 22:30top / bottom of page
Saxifraga longifolia Supernova

A fine compact form of S. longifolia from Geoff Rollinson

Saxifraga longifolia Supernova
Saxifraga reuteriana

I liked this unusual saxifrage from Mark Childerhouse.

Saxifraga reuteriana
Saxifraga vayredana

A small neat pan of S. vayredana from Mark Childerhouse

Saxifraga vayredana
Campanula peshmenii

This plant from Martin and Anna Sheader was familiar - I photographed it mostly in bud the previous week at Wimborne.  It had come on a lot and was given a Certificate of Merit.

Campanula peshmenii
Campanula myrtifolia

Martin and Anna Sheader also brought several pans of seed-grown Campanula myrtifolia.

Campanula myrtifolia
Stachys candida

As the previous week in Wimborne, this Stachys grown by Martin and Anna Sheader was judged the best plant in the show, though this time the judges did not award a Farrer Medal.

Stachys candida
Triteleia laxa Rudy Kleiner

The Ridings Salver for the Open section aggregate went to Mavis and Sam Lloyd.

Triteleia laxa Rudy Kleiner
Abies cephalonica nana

Also from Mavis and Sam Lloyd.

Abies cephalonica nana
Flower Arrangement

Of course one class where I expect to see Mavis and Sam Lloyd do well is the flower arrangement - here is this week's entry.

Flower Arrangement

That's all the photos.  Thanks to Bob Worsley and all his helpers for making the show run so smoothly, and for excellent tea and cakes.  Doing the show photography in the middle of the hall became almost like performance art, with many interested spectators full of questions.  I was very grateful that the cafe at the end of the building were serving not only Sunday roasts, which I didn't have time for, but also excellent hot meat cobs, which were eminently portable and could be eaten during photography. 

And thanks to Sheila, my mother-in-law, for having us for the weekend, so I could come to the show.  The trip back to Nottingham was again a pleasant one, though the late night motorway journey back to the south, collecting my son from the NEC en route, proved rather gruelling.

Contribution from Ian Instone 07 June 2017, 20:40top / bottom of page

Another excellent show at Bakewell. A big thank you to everyone who helped to put on the event. I have attached a few pictures I took around the hall.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 6 of 6:    1   2   3   4   5   (6)   previous

This discussion Thread: Bakewell Show 4th June 2017 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion