Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: AGS Kent Autumn Show 21st October 2017

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 29 October 2017, 10:03. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 5 of 5:    1   2   3   4   (5)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 26 October 2017, 16:27top / bottom of page
Saxifraga fortunei Rubrifolia

Helen and Mark Childerhouse also staged a large plant of this in the class for one pan rock plant.  Probably the heaviest thing I carried all day.

Saxifraga fortunei Rubrifolia
Cyclamen graecum subsp candicum

As always at the autumn shows, there were plenty of Cyclamen, particularly C. graecum and C. maritimum.  This is another of Ian Robertson's small leaved forms.

Cyclamen graecum subsp candicum
Cyclamen maritimum

Again an interesting leaf on a much bigger plant, again from Ian Robertson.

Cyclamen maritimum
Cyclamen maritimum

However, the star of the show was this smaller pan of C. maritimum from Bob and Rannveig Wallis, which won the Keith Moorhouse Trophy for the best plant in a 19cm pot, the Saunders Award for the best Cyclamen, and Best Plant in Show.  It will be no surprise to add that they also won the Harold Bishop Trophy for the open section aggregate.

Cyclamen maritimum
Nerine undulata Alba

Last, but by no means least, show secretary Adrian Cooper staged a huge pot of the plant formerly known and grown as N. flexuosa alba.  Probably the heaviest thing I didn't attempt to carry all day.

Nerine undulata Alba

That's it for another season.  My thanks for Adrian Cooper and his team of helpers for organising another excellent show, and to the exhibitors for finding plants to bring.  Next year you will have to remember all the 'I could have brought that' plants. 

Thanks indeed to all those who have staged shows all around the country this year, and to everyone who takes and posts photos of the ones I don't get to. 

Contribution from Margaret Young 27 October 2017, 11:48top / bottom of page

Another superb report, Jon, thank you!

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 28 October 2017, 08:06top / bottom of page

Many thanks Jon for another season of superb photographic show reports. Good to see what's at shows I can't get to and, usually, even the ones I'm at as I never seem to have time to stand and stare! 

Contribution from Jon Evans 29 October 2017, 10:03top / bottom of page

Thanks you two - good to see people still read this forum

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 5 of 5:    1   2   3   4   (5)   previous

This discussion Thread: AGS Kent Autumn Show 21st October 2017 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion