It’s the perfect opportunity to combine your passion for plants and photography. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your creativity in capturing stills of alpine and rock plants either in the wild or cultivation.
There’s still time to enter this year’s competition – you have until 1 December 2018.
There are eight classes you can enter:
1. An alpine plant in its natural habitat with both plant(s) and landscape featured.
2. A portrait of an alpine plant in its natural habitat, featuring the entire plant as the main subject.
3. A close-up or detail of an alpine plant in its natural habitat or in cultivation. You could perhaps concentrate on a flower, foliage or seed head.
4. An alpine plant in cultivation in a garden setting. It can be in your garden or a garden you have visited.
5. An alpine garden or part of a garden showing features used to grow alpine plants such as troughs, raised beds, crevice gardens, pots, screes, alpine houses and so on.
6. Alpine fauna in the wild, either in the landscape or in association with plants. Insects have been popular subjects in the past, as have birds and mammals.
7. An alpine landscape not necessarily showing specific plants but concentrating on the scenic beauty and/or geology of the setting. You could be inspired by unusual natural beauty, from the small and intimate to the grand panorama.
8. A quirky, amusing or unusual image featuring alpine plants. Digital manipulation is allowed in this class. In fact anything goes – let your imagination run riot!
There will be a first, second and third place awarded in each class. The winners will each receive a cash prize:
£40 for first place
£20 for second place
£10 for third place
The overall competition winner will receive a £40 bonus so it’s definitely worth entering!
The winner of each class will also receive five points towards AGS Medals:
Two first places (10 points) will qualify for a Bronze Medal, five first places (25 points) for Silver and 10 first places (50 points) for Gold.
Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org or post your photos to Alpine Garden Society, AGS Centre, Avon Bank, Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10 3JP.
You can find full details on each class and the competition rules here.
The deadline for submissions is 1 December 2018. We look forward to seeing your photographs!