Information: An occasional contributor to the Bulletin, writing about my experiences with alpines in the garden and the wild. I grow a wide range of bulbs, both in pots and in the garden and hold a National Collection of Crocus species. I raise many of the plants I grow from seed and exhibit at AGS Shows
1. A Room with a View – A tour of the Berner Oberland, visiting one or two places that tour companies miss out. Flowers, scenery and extols the virtues of independent travel!
2. Over the Bernina Pass – Alpines from Pontresina to Poschiavo including plants high above the Bernina Pass
3. Vaud & Valais through the Seasons – A look at two Swiss cantons through the seasons. A journey from rich meadows of the Pre-Alps to the glaciers of the High Alps.
4. A Crocus for all Seasons – My specialist subject. A look at the Genus as described by Mathew covering the plants and how to grow them with illustrations of wild and cultivated plants.
5. Peaks and Troughs – Alpines from the mountain to the garden with a focus on growing in troughs.
6. Alpines for the Time Challenged! – A personal account of gardening with alpines; plant portraits, dos and don’ts and propagation all drawn from my own experiences.
7. Whatever the Weather – Proving that you can have a good time in the mountains even when the sun does not always shine!
8. 25 Years of Bulbs – Drawing on my long experience growing dwarf bulbs. An introduction to the many genera and methods of cultivation.
9. Hilary’s View – Some of the plants you might see on an Early Summer visit to the Vaud Alps. Includes contributions from Hilary who has lived there for 30 years and is my mountain guide to this beautiful area.
Fee: B, with sliding scale for larger audiences
Equipment: All talks are digital, I can bring laptop and projector if required