Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: The Alpine House at Kew this week

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Richard Wilford

Go to latest contribution by Richard Wilford, 13 April 2011, 16:03. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Richard Wilford 13 April 2011, 16:03top / bottom of page

The Davies Alpine House at Kew (5 years old this year) has reached its spring peak so I thought I'd share a few photos with you.

One of my favourites is the white-flowered Paeonia clusii, from Crete. It is perfect now, but the flowers won't last long! It also grows on the rock garden but the Alpine House gives the delicate flowers some protection from wind and rain (not much of that at the moment though).

Elsewhere there is plenty to see and the house is full of colour, in the plunge beds, on the benches and in the permanent plantings.

The benches at each end of the house are filled with pots brought in from the alpine nursery. This one has lewisias, mossy saxifrages and lachenalias, amongst others.

The next photo shows some of the permanent plantings among the sandstone rocks. Blue Lithodora zahnii, pink Geranium glaberrimum, yellow Primula edelbergii and the grey leaved Alkanna oreodoxa.

So if you haven't got a ticket to the Conference in Nottingham, you can always come to Kew!

Richard

This discussion Thread: The Alpine House at Kew this week - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion