Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Summer Bulbs 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 12 September 2015, 13:03. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 5 of 5:    1   2   3   4   (5)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 12 September 2015, 10:51top / bottom of page
Scilla obtusiloba

This little North African scilla has bloomed for the first time for me.

Scilla obtusiloba
Scilla madeirensis

My single bulb of S. madeirensis has produced about six shoots this year, and at least two flower spikes - I expect there will be more, they tend to stagger out from among the leaves.

Scilla madeirensis
Rhodophiala bifida

I was hoping to delay the flowering of this pot of Rhodophiala until the Kent Show, but after the storms we had at the end of August it started putting up scapes whilst still bone dry, so I gave in and watered it so the full flush of flowers developed.

Rhodophiala bifida
Sternbergia greuteriana

This little Sternbergia was a real thrill when it flowered.  Thanks to a very generous fellow member for giving it to me.

Sternbergia greuteriana
Sternbergia sicula

Outside in the blub frames, most of the forms of Sternbergia sicula have flowered.

Sternbergia sicula
Sternbergia sicula Arcadian Sun
Sternbergia sicula Arcadian Sun
Sternbergia sicula

This is a very fine form of S. sicula - another gift from a kind exhibitor.  It looks as though most of the bulbs in this small pan will have two flowers on this year, but again I don't think it will last another two weeks.

Sternbergia sicula
Sternbergia lutea

Also in full flower - the summer heat has encouraged flowers in all the sternbergias.

Sternbergia lutea
Colchicum autumnale

Next to the Sternbergia lutea

Colchicum autumnale
Colchicum atropurpureum
Colchicum atropurpureum
Colchicum speciosum

Two pans of C. speciosum grown from seed and flowering for the first time.  Note also in the foreground the tiny C. pusillum.

Colchicum speciosum
Colchicum cilicicum

Another which will be over by the show

Colchicum cilicicum
Cyclamen hederifolium

Finally, a nice ruby-coloured C. hederifolium seedling I found in the garden.

Cyclamen hederifolium

Contribution from Jon Evans 12 September 2015, 13:03top / bottom of page
Colchicum boisseri

Missed one !

Colchicum boisseri

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 5 of 5:    1   2   3   4   (5)   previous

This discussion Thread: Summer Bulbs 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion