Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Summer Bulbs 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 12 September 2015, 13:03. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 29 July 2015, 10:30top / bottom of page

I'm sorry I wasn't at the Pershore Show, and don't have a host of photos of the event to post for you.  Particularly sorry since my pans of rhodohypoxis were in fine condition and might have won me this year's first in the Open Section.  However, this was the one chance we had to schedule a holiday with my two boys, this year spent on the Gower in rather patchy weather.  In fact, I spent much of my time in the dune slacks, wandering for hours in a landscape clothed with thyme, centaury and restharrow, with carpets of Geranium sanguineum in the longer grasses, punctuated by the cries of seagulls.

Haemanthus humilis subsp hirsutus

I was surprised and delighted when I returned home to find that this, the earliest of the Haemanthus, had produced a flowerhead.  These are bulbs I grew from seed from George Elder sown in September 2007, and are flowering for the first time.

Haemanthus humilis subsp hirsutus
Allium species

Also flowering for the first time was this lovely little allium (5in high).  The label, long since reduced to illegibility, suggests it was grown from NARGS seed sown in Jan 2012, and I think it is probably Allium flavum subsp tauricum - I certainly received and sowed seed of that that year.

Allium species
Haemanthus humilis subsp humilis

Now, two weeks later, two other bulbs of Haemanthus humilis, both pink, are producing flowering stems (the second has never flowered before).

Haemanthus carneus

In addition, my first ever flower is appearing on Haemanthus carneus.  I can only think that the hot spell we had earlier this summer has provoked them all into flowering.

Haemanthus carneus
Urginea olivieri

Elsewhere in the greenhouse, two of the small Urgineas have produced flowering spikes.

Urginea olivieri
Urginea undulata

I grew this for years without flowers, just for the fabulous foliage, then lost it.  This new bulb, from Kurt Vickery, seems much more inclined to perform.

Urginea undulata
Daphne gemmata Sceringa

Finally, not a bulb, but a novelty for me, a head of flowers on this little daphne.

Daphne gemmata Sceringa

Contribution from Tim Ingram 30 July 2015, 16:34top / bottom of page

Must be very exciting to get flowers on those Haemanthus for the first time Jon, especially when they have been grown up from seed! I like the Allium very much - potentially a good garden plant with that soft colour. This is a plant of Daphne/Wikstroemia gemmata that Peter Jacob gave me a couple of years ago - it has made a strong plant in a sheltered spot in the garden, so certainly worth trying outside.

Contribution from Jon Evans 08 August 2015, 16:40top / bottom of page

A week or so later and the Haemanthus humilis are fully out.  This is the first plant, which has flowered for me several times before and is more mature.  First as it was opening, and then fully out.

The other plant, which is flowering for the first time, doesn't have a full ball of flowers, so this photo taken from the front is rather deceptive.

Haemanthus carneus

The bud on H. carneus has progressed, but is not open yet.

Haemanthus carneus
Haemanthus humilis

Elsewhere, three year old seedlings are starting to sprout, looking impressively carnivorous.

Haemanthus humilis
Urginea olivieri

The Urginea flowers are also opening.

Urginea olivieri

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

This discussion Thread: Summer Bulbs 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion