Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Phyllocladus trichomanoides var. alpinus

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: christopher lilley

A species of conifer in the Podocarpoceae family from New Zealand, commonly called Alpine Celery Pine. This is a hardy evergreen shrub, very slow to grow in Britain, bearing small reddish male cones in bundles during summer. I purchased this plant circa 1

Go to latest contribution by christopher lilley, 22 January 2013, 15:24. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from christopher lilley 21 January 2013, 15:57top / bottom of page

Contribution from Tim Ingram 22 January 2013, 10:14top / bottom of page

Many thanks for that picture of Phyllocladus - it is a most intriguing plant and lives up to the description Lazenby gave of it in the Bulletin. There is a beautiful specimen of a tender species, P. hypophyllus - much larger and with blue foliage - at Glasnevin Botanic Garden, in the same glasshouse as a wonderful collection of Vireya rhododendrons, but that's the only other species I've seen.

Contribution from christopher lilley 22 January 2013, 15:24top / bottom of page

I got carried away with the 'brief comments' hence the unfinished words! This plant was purchased circa 10 years ago from Steve Furness, Calver, Derbyshire. I recall him telling me there are male and female plants and both produce cones. This plant is still in a 19cm pot and is now 23cm high.

This discussion Thread: Phyllocladus trichomanoides var. alpinus - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion