Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Oncocyclus irises

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Ron Mudd

Go to latest contribution by David Nicholson, 14 May 2011, 20:54. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Ron Mudd 06 May 2011, 15:27top / bottom of page
Iris kirkwoodii

From Archibald seed.

Iris kirkwoodii

Contribution from David Nicholson 06 May 2011, 20:17top / bottom of page

Very nice indeed Ron. Oncos are an Iris step too far for me though!

Contribution from Ron Mudd 07 May 2011, 11:52top / bottom of page
Iris paradoxa

Ex R and R Wallis young plant from seed.

Iris paradoxa

Contribution from Richard Jeffery 10 May 2011, 13:05top / bottom of page
Iris iberica ssp. lycotis

Lovely plants Ron. I'm afraid I've been bitten by the Onco & Regelia bug. Pity they're so difficult to get hold of. I'll post a few pics for all to share. It really is a shame that the flowers don't last just that little bit longer, though. Still, for me, they're one of the real joys of spring. Richard

Iris iberica ssp. lycotis
Iris sari ssp. manisadjianii
Iris sari ssp. manisadjianii
Iris stolonifera
Iris stolonifera
Iris hoogiana
Iris hoogiana

Contribution from David Nicholson 10 May 2011, 19:21top / bottom of page

Lovely set of images Richard. Could you see a bit about your growing regime please?

Contribution from Richard Jeffery 14 May 2011, 14:41top / bottom of page
Growing Onco's & Regelias

Hi David. All of my Onco's & Regelias are grown in a very lean compost mix and in 12" deep long tom pots.

The compost consists of 2 parts (by volume) horticultural grit, 2 parts grit-sand, 1 part John Inness No.2 and 1 part perlite. The rhizomes "sit" on a 1/2" layer of grit on top of the compost and then are covered by a 1"-2" layer of extra grit. The pots live in the sunniest part of the alpine house and are plunged to a depth of about 5" in sand.

The plants are potted up in late August / early September and are not watered at all at this point. They do seem to get moisture from somewhere though as growth usually starts to appear in late September or into early October. I start to water at about the end of February, giving plenty when the plants are in active growth. Once the leaves start to die back in late May, then watering is held off completely and the plants are kept dry until the process starts again in the autumn. I tend to re-pot every other year.

Hope this helps and, perhaps, tempts you to have a go. Richard

Contribution from David Nicholson 14 May 2011, 20:54top / bottom of page

Many thanks for that Richard. I'd love to have a go but my problem is space. I really need an elastic sided greenhouse as it is and if I start another "obsession" now she who must be obeyed might feel it necessary to remind me about the time I give to plants and the time I don't give to decorating the lounge and dining room!!

This discussion Thread: Oncocyclus irises - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion