Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: November at Kew

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Martin Rogerson, 21 November 2008, 19:06. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 21 November 2008, 16:06top / bottom of page

I'm including Ipheion vittatum here, despite the poor picture, because it bears a strong resemblance to the plant exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis at the Autumn South Show as Ipheion roseum.

The highlight of these for me was Ipheion hirtellum ? it looks straggly in the picture, but these are big flowers, at least the size of those on Ipheion sellowianum in the spring, and this plant is definitely going on my most wanted list !

Another interesting plant ? Ptilotus manglesii ? a miniature member of the the Amaranthaceae ? these heads are a little bigger than golf balls.

Tritonia laxifolia - notable because it is autumn flowering - most tritonias flower in late spring.

Scilla madeirensis

Last but not least, and certainly not hardy, a magnificent pot of Scilla madeirensis, lit by the autumn sun.

Scilla madeirensis

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 21 November 2008, 19:06top / bottom of page

Thanks Jon for brightening up a November evening. Hardy or not that Scilla is magnificent.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

This discussion Thread: November at Kew - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion