Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Narcissus romieuxii subsp. albidus var. zaianicus forma. lutescens

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: christopher lilley

Go to latest contribution by christopher lilley, 23 January 2013, 15:28. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from christopher lilley 23 January 2013, 12:22top / bottom of page

Contribution from christopher lilley 23 January 2013, 13:24top / bottom of page

4 bulbs purchased in 2006 from Monocot Nursery as N. zaianicus SF379, have now increased to 79 in a 19cm pot. Budding in October my bulbs sometimes commence flowering before Xmas.This flowering commenced early January and now has 30 flowers with more to come. Grown in a cold frame, I bring the bulbs into the greenhouse when they start flowering, however, this year with the snow the foliage and stems flopped so I brought the pot into my conservatory with underfloor heating set at 17 degrees centigrade which raised the foliage and flowering stems. An excellent reliable early flowering bulb.

Contribution from christopher lilley 23 January 2013, 15:28top / bottom of page

These bulbs can change colour, from nearly white to pale yellow. This can be confusing when repotting if you are not aware! I believe "Lutescens" means "becoming yellow". I have just found a further photograph taken on 26.1.2009 of the same pot showing the bulbs in the pale form.

This discussion Thread: Narcissus romieuxii subsp. albidus var. zaianicus forma. lutescens - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion