Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Juno Irises

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Ron Mudd

They bring a smile to my face with early colour

Go to latest contribution by Ron Mudd, 14 March 2012, 08:58. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 3:    1   (2)   3   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Ron Mudd 04 February 2011, 11:18top / bottom of page
iris vicaria

Lovely flower Luc. One of our favourites also. We too seem to be about a month ahead of last year on many of our plants.

These are plants we grow as a colour variety of Iris vicaria. Some people seem to grow these as I. rosenbachiana 'Varzob', ( I believe after Janis Ruksans ) and I think it was sold some years ago as I. baldschuanica. Is anyone able to shed some light on this and advise which is correct and why, or clarify what differentiates between these plants if they are indeed separate species?

iris vicaria

Contribution from Ron Mudd 04 February 2011, 11:42top / bottom of page
oops! how embarrassing

I of course meant Iris nicolai and not vicaria on that last post. And me seeking clarification regarding nomenclature!

I had just returned from the greenhouse and had vicaria on the brain having noticed how our plants of that species had doubled in size during the last two days.

Contribution from David Nicholson 04 February 2011, 15:24top / bottom of page

a little cracker Luc, you're becoming quite an Iridacaea expert!!

Contribution from Ron Mudd 08 February 2011, 12:22top / bottom of page
another Iris nicolai colour form
another Iris nicolai colour form
And another
And another

Contribution from Ron Mudd 11 February 2011, 13:13top / bottom of page
Iris rosenbachiana 'Darwas'

Possibly the one referred to by Janis Ruksans as 'Vahsh'.?

Iris rosenbachiana 'Darwas'

Contribution from David Nicholson 11 February 2011, 19:28top / bottom of page

Your plants are really moving now Ron, some lovely ones there. Mine are still at the "noses" stage but I did start watering them later this year than last year.

Contribution from Luc Gilgemyn 18 February 2011, 20:46top / bottom of page

Wonderful display Ron !!

They're all stunning plants aren't they ?

I've had Iris nusariensis flowering over the last few days.

Contribution from Ron Mudd 19 February 2011, 10:31top / bottom of page

A wonderful classical flower Luc. Is it earlier than last year also? I seem to be about three weeks ahead.

Just for information our Iris planifoia produced one flower on December 11th 2010 and has produced another three over the past week. Nine weeks later.

Your right Luc, they are all lovely plants in our eyes and are a real lift on these dull winter days.

seedlings are shooting through all over also.

I.aucheri and its various colour forms are budding up also but I won't post pics as I posted them here last year. Does anyone have any different ones to show. I know there are many.

Contribution from Luc Gilgemyn 19 February 2011, 20:39top / bottom of page

Thanks for the compliments Ron !

I cannot judge the flowering time on this one as it's new to me. I obtained it last Autumn from Bob en Rannveigh Wallis at the Kent autumn show.

It's one from Jim Archibald's legacy, so I'm very happy with it !

Contribution from Richard Jeffery 25 February 2011, 22:40top / bottom of page
Iris fosteriana

Hi all,

I've found this discussion totally fascinating, and thought I really ought to make a contribution.

At long last my I. fosteriana has finally graced me with a flower (hope the picture does it justice). The last couple of years I've just had a few leaves appear and then, while my back was turned, it's died back in readiness for it's summer rest. Perhaps it's naturally a little shy?

I have recently acquired young plants of I. aucheri and I. vicaria, and I have just ventured into the realms of growing Junos from seed and eagerly await my new arrivals, although a good dose of patience should be taken, I guess. I've also sown a few Onco's and Regelias to add to my existing collection,too.

It is thanks to enlightening discussions like this that I've been encouraged to "have a go". I'll keep following your progress with interest.

Iris fosteriana

Contribution from David Nicholson 26 February 2011, 19:41top / bottom of page

and very nice it is too Richard, well done.

Contribution from Ron Mudd 26 February 2011, 20:03top / bottom of page
I. fosteriana

I.fosteriana is an absolutely stunning plant! What an amazing colour combination. Why has this mix of colours evolved? What is the purpose? Beautiful!!

Obviously this plant is happy and growing very well. Would love some seed if any becomes available! What potting mix are you using Richard? It so obviously works, despite the plants rather shy nature!

The species Iris group introduced us to "Conservation through Cultivation". Maybe throughout out Juno discussion we can disseminate enough information to push this ethic forward for our chosen genus?

In the meantime please post your Juno pics, no matter how common you believe the species you are growing.

Contribution from Luc Gilgemyn 01 March 2011, 08:30top / bottom of page

Congratulations Richard !

A beautiful fosteriana indeed and I know it's NOT an easy one to grow and flower ! Well done !

Contribution from Richard Jeffery 02 March 2011, 15:10top / bottom of page

Thank you for your comments above.

I tend to use the same compost mix for all of my Junos, Onco's and Regelias - 1 part J.I.No.2, 1 part Perlite, 1 part grit and 2 parts grit sand (upto 3mm)- and, so far, it seems to work for them all. I aim to repot every other year, but sometimes growth starts incredibly early and, for fear of damaging brittle roots, they sometimes get left an extra year and are then supplemented with a little sprinkling of blood, fish & bone. Almost all of them are due for repotting this summer.

Contribution from David Nicholson 11 March 2011, 19:47top / bottom of page

My first two Junos of the season.

Iris tubergeniana, and,

Iris bucharica 'Baldschuan Yellow'

Contribution from Ron Mudd 14 March 2011, 13:50top / bottom of page
Iris zenaidae

Thanks for sharing your potting regime Richard. Very similar to ours, but we tend to feed with weak strength tomato food after flowering. Not sure if this is necessary but we stick with it. We have been advised to incorporate some granular dolomite lime in the mix, but can't find a source for it. Anyone know where this can be bought?

Lovely plants David. Absolutely love the strength of the colours in both species? How many flowers does each species usually produce?

We have certainly suffered from he freezing we experienced in December with many of the Junos being frozen solid in their pots and now growing in a very damaged and deformed manner. Iris zenaidae appears to have come through unscathed though. This is the first time we have flowered it and have been a litlle surprised at the relatively small slender flowers it produces. A very graceful plant. Not shown at all well in the attached picture.

Iris zenaidae

Contribution from David Nicholson 15 March 2011, 20:34top / bottom of page

No idea how many flowers Ron it's my first year with both but 'Baldschuan Yellow' has one more to come at least.

I had meant to time my first watering so that I might have some to exhibit at the South West Show but think I started too early (beginning of October)and I'll probably miss the boat.

Here is Iris graeberiana 'Dark Form'

Contribution from David Nicholson 15 March 2011, 21:40top / bottom of page

Ron, dolomite lime is hard to find these days. My local garden centres stopped stocking it some time ago, no demand they said! My supply will not last much longer. I always add a scattering of it to my compost mix for all Irises other than Pacifics.

It is available on-line from Gardens Direct-7.50 for 3Kg plus 5.95 post and packing. Expensive! Does anyone else have a better deal?

It would be so much easier if we could use hyperlinks on this site!!!!!

Contribution from David Nicholson 17 March 2011, 19:50top / bottom of page

Two more of mine:

Iris 'Blue Mystery' is a hybrid created by Leonid Bondarenko from I. willmottiana and I.magnifica.

and I. warleyensis. Leaning to one side a bit as a result of mynot turning it.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 3:    1   (2)   3   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Juno Irises - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion