Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Geophytic Pelargoniums

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Yann DUPONT, 13 June 2014, 21:09. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 07 June 2014, 20:13top / bottom of page

In early April I was lucky enough to be invited to visit the garden of a friend whose primary interest is geophytic pelargoniums - that is the ones with swollen underground storage organs, which come from regions of South Africa where they have to endure harsh dry summers.

Primula cultivar

As well as the pelargoniums there were a lot of other interesting plants, and the promise of a lot more to come, including a fine collection of peonies.  This primula was growing alongside the drive.

Primula cultivar
Bulbine species

The greenhouse was home to many other exotic and geophytic species besides the pelargoniums.  I thought this Bulbine was very attractive.

Bulbine species
Cantua buxifolia

A rather exotic shrub I don't think I have encountered before.

Cantua buxifolia
Leucocoryne coquimbensis

The leucocorynes are one of my favourite genera, though I struggle to persuade any of them to flower apart from L. ixioides.

Leucocoryne coquimbensis
Leucocoryne vittata

This one is my favourite species.

Leucocoryne vittata
Trichodiadema densa

I'm not quite sure whether or not this is classified as a cactus; it is certainly a succulent with spines.

Trichodiadema densa
Sarcocaulon flavescens

Getting closer to the pelargoniums.  Sarcocaulon (sometimes included in Monsonia now) are a genus of South African Geraniaceae, usually with a permanent structure of swollen, spiny stems.  From this tough little bush very delicate flowers like cherry blossom appear, in this case very pale yellow.

Sarcocaulon flavescens
Pelargonium bubonifolium

I'm going to post the pelargoniums in alphabetical order; I don't remember enough of the botany to do it by section. 

Pelargonium bubonifolium
Pelargonium echinatum

This pelargonium was growing in a number of strikingly different forms.

Pelargonium echinatum

Contribution from Jon Evans 07 June 2014, 20:39top / bottom of page
Pelargonium echinatum

The third form of P. echinatum, previously omitted.

Contribution from Jon Evans 07 June 2014, 20:28top / bottom of page
Pelargonium incrassatum pink form

A very fine form of Pelargonium incrassatum, one of the few species here I was at all familiar with.

Pelargonium incrassatum pink form
Pelargonium laxum
Pelargonium laxum
Pelargonium longicaule
Pelargonium longicaule
Pelargonium moniliforme

This species was simply magnificent, with these long swaying stalks rising from tiny clumps of leaves at ground level, bearing huge heads of beautiful flowers.

Pelargonium moniliforme
Pelargonium parvipetalum
Pelargonium parvipetalum

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: Geophytic Pelargoniums - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion