Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Fritillaries 2010

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Ron Mudd

Go to latest contribution by Alan Jones, 15 April 2011, 14:39. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Ron Mudd 05 March 2010, 16:34top / bottom of page
Fritillaria stenanthera
Fritillaria michailovskyi

Contribution from Judy Rhymes 05 March 2010, 19:38top / bottom of page

Lovely photos again, thank you Ron. I haven't had much success with frits, so do not try and grow them any more.

Contribution from Ron Mudd 05 March 2010, 20:09top / bottom of page

What went wrong Judy when you did try growing them? I think that over the years we have made every mistake in the book when it comes to growing Fritillaries. Maybe we could provide some encouragement for you to try again?

We grow from seed and acquired bulbs and are growing a good number of species. I will keep postings pics as the flowers open if there is interest.

Contribution from Judy Rhymes 06 March 2010, 21:38top / bottom of page

I think I just did not give the bulbs sufficient drainage or protection, and they rotted.

Will stick with the iris for the time being as I do not have much room. When I started with the alpines, I was rather carried away and wanted to try everything 'running before I could walk' (don't we all). If I reduce the number of plants I grow, hopefully they will do better (but I still cannot resist those tempting seed packets at the shows!).

Contribution from Ron Mudd 08 March 2010, 16:42top / bottom of page

We certainly agree that excellent drainage is the key for the most commonly grown species.

Sad that you felt you had to give up. If you change your mind in future we will help you to get started again.

In the meantime we hope that you will still enjoy the pictures that we (and hopefully others) will continue to post.

Contribution from Judy Rhymes 09 March 2010, 10:17top / bottom of page

Thanks, Ron. I may give them a try again, in the future, but for the moment I will just sit back and enjoy your photos.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 10 March 2010, 10:47top / bottom of page

Hi Ron, thanks for all your contributions. Sorry I didn't reply to your question about starting a new Frit thread, but I'm glad you did. (I was a bit absorbed programming up another new feature on the website.)

I went out to the Alpine House to see if I had anything to contribute and only have one Fritillaria in flower so far, just opening - Fritillaria stenanthera.

Someone eagle-eyed will probably spot the yellow in the background above. A lone bud of Fritillaria pudica opening, but not worth a photograph yet

Contribution from Ron Mudd 16 March 2010, 18:30top / bottom of page
A 'pinker' F. stenanthera

Thanks for posting Jim. Please keep the pics coming, as it seems that while a good few people grow frits not too many want to share pics of their plants. Or tips on cultivation. Shame really.

F.sewerzowii
F.raddeana

Unfortunately our computer camera is not good enough for a half decent picture of F.pudica and F.pinardii which are also flowering well at the moment. Can anyone contribute pics of these species please?

Contribution from Cliff Booker 18 March 2010, 10:06top / bottom of page
FRITILLARIA PUDICA

No sooner said than done, Ron ...

FRITILLARIA PUDICA
FRITILLARIA PINARDII
FRITILLARIA PINARDII

Contribution from Ron Mudd 19 March 2010, 18:34top / bottom of page

Thank you very much Cliff. Great pics of beautifully grown plants.

Individually these smallish Frits look good but we think they look so much more en masse.

Contribution from Ron Mudd 22 March 2010, 21:14top / bottom of page
Fritillaria kotschyana
Fritillaria eduardii

Contribution from Alan Jones 07 February 2011, 14:48top / bottom of page

At least half a dozen of my seed-raised frits are now pushing through in the a/h as temperatures in the last couple of days have been about 46F in early morning and 50F in mid-afternoon. These were sown in Dec/06 and Jan/07. Is is too optimistic to expect flowers after four years?

Contribution from Ron Mudd 07 February 2011, 15:20top / bottom of page

Sorry to say this Alan but personally I would think the answer is .... Perhaps! An awful lot depends on the species and your growing and feeding conditions. I know that it is on the record that some people have them flowering in four years.

Contribution from Alan Jones 08 March 2011, 16:50top / bottom of page
Frits flowering from seed

Yes,Ron,considering all the factors of which it is difficult to take account,'perhaps' is the word, when I asked whether Frit seed sown in 12/06 and 1/07 might flower this year, approximately the fourth year in growth. I am able to report that F.montana, messanensis, olivieri, and involucrata are bearing flowers, and possibly two more. I am naturally delighted, but accept this must be the exception to the rule and that your comment is the only one we can hold to be true. Many thanks.

Contribution from Ron Mudd 08 March 2011, 18:12top / bottom of page

Congratulations Alan. Isn't it a wonderful feeling when they flower for the first time from seed? Would you share your seed sowing / growing regime with us please? Also, any pics of these new arrivals? Our F.montana flowers are forming for the first time also. Anticipation is high.

We hope that between all members we can keep this thread going with some wonderful Fritillaria.

Contribution from Alan Jones 09 March 2011, 10:01top / bottom of page

More accurately, Ron, I should have said 'bearing buds', rather than giving the impression the Frits are in flower now. Yes, it will be a great thrill to see one's efforts come to fruition, however modestly. On my return to the AGS about six years ago, after an absence of 18 years, I virtually had to start from scratch. Frits took my attention, although I grow all manner of plants. I brought in a few bulbs to get me started; the expereince of growing these helped me find my way. I turned to seed and received a wonderful insight from Kevin Pratt and Michael Jefferson-Brown's 'The Gardener's Guide to Growing Fritillaries'. I also received some excellent advice [in July,07] from Raymond Drew on the requirments of bulbs generally, especially with regard to over-drying. I have always believed that one should not be afraid to ask the most simple question; so I assembled a great deal of valuable information, from the AGS and other sources. I must point out, however, that I am, and always have been, an enthusiast,just one of the many foot soldiers who love plants and strive for success. As for posting pictures, I am not a technophobe. It has taken me all my time to get into the way of making this on-line contribution; but I am sure my son can be drafted to help, although I have a very poor camera. Thanks for you interest, Ron. Much appreciated. I'll keep you informed.

Contribution from Alan Jones 15 April 2011, 14:39top / bottom of page
Frits from seed

Well, Ron, I said I would let you know about the 12/06 and 1/07 Fritillaries raised from seed. All but a couple flowered. I shall dispose of five because of excessive variability, and keep five that appear reasonably true to type. Even so, I was not too thrilled with them. But I will see how they look after a second flowering.

I have a lot more Frit. seed at the early bulblet stage; so all I can do is be patient and enjoy the process of bringing them on.

This discussion Thread: Fritillaries 2010 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion