Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Flowering in September

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 06 October 2011, 11:17. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 10 September 2011, 20:47top / bottom of page

Last Sunday, on my return from holiday, I soaked my South African bulbs in the greenhouse, and most of the Mediterranean bulbs in the frames, except for those I have still to re-pot. With the watering, many have sprung into life, and are already flowering. Many others will follow in the next week; I expect all to be over before the Autumn South show.

Strumaria karooica

This actually flowered mid-August, just before I went away. The photo is deceptive (taken wide-angle); this is a tiny plant, only 4 inches high; the individual flowers are less than 1/2 an inch across.

Strumaria karooica

Here is another form of the same species, from a different source. This is very different; 8-10 inches tall, with larger, more solid, much whiter flowers.

Two other similar Strumarias are also in flower; both about 4 inches high, with heads of white flowers. Strumaria discifera ssp discifera and Strumaria aestivalis. The other species I grow have yet to re-awaken from the summer.

Regular attendees at shows will be familiar with the autumn-flowering Empodium flexile. This is another, smaller species, Empodium plicatum, in a 4.5inch pot, only an inch or so high, and an inch across. Like its larger relative, it has a wonderful, lemony spicy scent; these few small flowers fill the greenhouse when the sun is out.

Also in the greenhouse, two more Haemanthus have produced flower scapes. This is Haemanthus incarnatus. I will post more pictures when the flowers open.

Outside in the garden, two plants I don't have names for any more. First a geranium which has survived the last two winters. It grows from a central point and doesn't root down, or set seed. I will have to try some cuttings. Does anyone know what this plant is ?

Finally, a perennial Helianthus, which is the best form I have ever grown, if a bit invasive. I believe it is probably a well-known clone, but I have never had a name for it. If fed, the flowering stems can be 8 feet high, with bowl shaped flowers 6-8 inches across. Currently mine are rather starved, and somewhat smaller, but also taking over one corner of my neighbours' garden.

Contribution from Jon Evans 13 September 2011, 12:16top / bottom of page

Reprising the earlier posting, here are a couple more pictures of Empodium plicatum, now with four flowers in the pot.

The Haemanthus are opening - an acquired taste for some perhaps. The red one is H. incarnatus (a fantastic colour) and the little pink one is H. barkerae.

Also flowering now, Oxalis speciosa. I know there are AGS members who do a lot better with it than this, but this is the best flowering I have had.

Finally Rhodophiala. I have two pots, one which is R. bifida, with 3 scapes of flowers, and one which came to me as R. advena, but which looks exactly the same, with 5 scapes developing. I'll post some pictures of that when the flowers open, to confirm that it is really bifida.

Contribution from David Nicholson 13 September 2011, 18:57top / bottom of page

Lovely stuff Jon.

Contribution from Jon Evans 16 September 2011, 11:31top / bottom of page

Thanks David

It's good to know there's someone out there !

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 16 September 2011, 17:20top / bottom of page

Well, there are at least two of us :-)))

Contribution from Cliff Booker 16 September 2011, 19:14top / bottom of page

Quite a select following really!

Excellent images Jon. Many thanks for posting.

Contribution from Jon Evans 18 September 2011, 22:40top / bottom of page

A very select following indeed. Thank you all. The pictures are just snaps really, but I thought that there were some unusual plants here that members would like to see.

Contribution from Jon Evans 19 September 2011, 14:42top / bottom of page

My second pot of Rhodophiala (which came as advena) is now out, and I cannot see any difference at all between this plant and bifida.

Some more of the Strumarias have appeared. I thought some of you might be interested to see; the flower scapes appear before the leaves. These curious deep red serpentine threads are flower scapes, and the narrow sheath at the end will produce a little star burst of flowers, like the plants above, in the case of this species (S. watermeyeri) pale pink rather than the usual white.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: Flowering in September - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion