Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Flowering in September 2012

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 23 September 2012, 17:24. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 3:    1   (2)   3   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 15 September 2012, 23:03top / bottom of page
Sternbergia sp

Yet another imposter, this pretty little Sternbergia was grown from seed as S. colchiciflora, which it definitely is not. It is probably S. greuteriana, if you agree with that nomenclature, or if not, S. sicula.

Sternbergia sp

Contribution from Jon Evans 15 September 2012, 22:50top / bottom of page
New cold frame

Outside the greenhouse, I have been rebuilding one of my cold frames in the last month; its predecessor, made from scaffold planks, rotted away, and ceased to retain the bank at the edge of my property. When I have finished work I will have to help replace my neighbours fence.

New cold frame

The new one should be a lot sturdier. Now all I need to do is build a superstructure to keep the rain and frost off, using polycarbonate sheets.

Contribution from Jon Evans 15 September 2012, 23:05top / bottom of page
Colchicums

The colchicums in pots started to bloom just as I was replacing them in the frame.

Colchicums
Colchicum x byzantinum album

A very generous gift last year. It took a year to settle down, but has been beautiful this autumn.

Colchicum x byzantinum album
Colchicum atropurpureum
Colchicum atropurpureum
Colchicum autumnale Nancy Lindsay
Colchicum autumnale Nancy Lindsay
Colchicum x. Jaroslava

This one came from Janis Ruksans.

Colchicum x. Jaroslava
Colchicum cilicium

This one is my favourite - the yellow stamens always make it seem to glow.

Colchicum cilicium
Colchicum hybrid

Another product of the seed exchanges. This appears to be a hybrid of some sort, grown from seed received as C. kesselringii.

Colchicum hybrid
Scilla autumnalis

The final plant from the bulb frame at the moment. Beautiful but quite ephemeral.

Scilla autumnalis
Agapanthus

Just a few shots from the open garden. This agapanthus is grown in a pot, so I can put it under the greenhouse bench in the winter, away from the worst of the frost, but they are very greedy plants, and hard work to grow in pots; every year the pot is crammed full of thick white roots, and the plants need space and food to bloom well.

Agapanthus
Japanese windflower

A white anemone, backlit by the evening sun.

Japanese windflower
Schizostylis coccinea

Again backlit by the sun

Schizostylis coccinea
Helianthus

As you would expect after the wet summer we have had, my big perennial sunflower has been wonderful this autumn.

Helianthus

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 3:    1   (2)   3   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Flowering in September 2012 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion