Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Flowering in September 2012

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 23 September 2012, 17:24. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 15 September 2012, 22:24top / bottom of page

The forum seems to be very quiet at the moment, so here are a few photos taken in late August and early September, as the bulbs start to awaken. Many of these are flowering before the first watering, which I did last weekend.

Haemanthus humilis

My photos from August featured this large pink Haemanthus. The inflorescence has collapsed now, and the huge round leaves are expanding.

Haemanthus humilis
Haemanthus coccineus v coarctatus

Following on from H. humilis, this inflorescence appeared, on a new bulb from a very generous friend.

Haemanthus coccineus v coarctatus
Haemanthus incarnatus

Here it is with a neighbour - Haemanthus incarnatus which flowered for me last year.

Haemanthus incarnatus
Strumaria gemmata

Also in the greenhouse, the first Strumarias are flowering. S. gemmata is always the first for me, putting up a head of flowers when bone-dry after the summer.

Strumaria gemmata
Strumaria karooica

Next is S. karooica, snaking out of the ground. This has been particularly spectacular this year.

Strumaria karooica
Strumaria aestivalis

Last one for now, Strumaria aestivalis, though S. tenella has lots of buds and should be in flower soon.

Strumaria aestivalis
Habranthus tubispathus

Another imposter from the exchanges, the ubiquitous Habranthus tubispathus, this time masquerading as Rhodophiala andicola.

Habranthus tubispathus

top / bottom of page
Rhodophiala bifida

Another imposter - this time from a nursery, not a seed exchange.  This is supposed to be Rhodophiala advenum, but it is identical to the sterile form of Rhodophiala bifida which we all grow.

Contribution from Jon Evans 15 September 2012, 22:57top / bottom of page
Rhodophiala bifida

This is my main pot of Rhodophiala bifida, which flowers without fail at the end of August, so I have never managed to hold it back to the autumn shows, despite withholding water.

Rhodophiala bifida

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

This discussion Thread: Flowering in September 2012 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion