Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Flowering in January 2014

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Helen Johnstone

Go to latest contribution by Margaret Young, 31 January 2014, 17:20. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Helen Johnstone 29 January 2014, 12:19top / bottom of page

Narcissus romieuxii subsp, Albidus v. Zaianicus

Contribution from Tim Ingram 29 January 2014, 17:34top / bottom of page

Lovely plant Helen - with a wonderfully involved name. I've tried some of these quite successfully outside in the sand bed. 

Contribution from Helen Johnstone 29 January 2014, 18:23top / bottom of page

Hi Tim

its a great name isn't it, trips off the tongue. I don't have a sand bed yet but I am hoping to get a bulb frame for next winter. I bought them last weekend so new to me

Contribution from Jon Evans 30 January 2014, 21:07top / bottom of page

I took advantage of a brief dry spell earlier in the week to take the camera out and look for flowers in the frames and greenhouse.

Helleborus thibetanus

It isn't really thriving, but at least in my re-built frame the slugs haven't found it yet. 

Helleborus thibetanus
Iris histroides Lady Beatrice Stanley

In the frame opposite, which gets more sun, Lady Beatrice Stanley is already in full bloom.

Iris histroides Lady Beatrice Stanley
Sternbergia candida

Another plant I don't grow very well, but it seems to be doing a bit better since I moved it to a semi-shaded frame, and has flowered for the first time for 3 years.

Sternbergia candida
Cyrtanthus mackenii

In the greenhouse this lovely cream form of Cyrtanthus mackenii is flowering.  And it is producing two more flowering shoots, so I should have flowers for a little while yet.

Cyrtanthus mackenii
Cyrtanthus peloponnesiacum

Also in the greenhouse, a pot of Cyclamen peloponnesiacum which flowered in April last year.  Sheer perversity I expect.

Cyrtanthus peloponnesiacum
Clematis cirrhosa Jingle Bells

But the plant of the moment, in full flower for the last six weeks, is this lovely clematis stretched over our front porch. Hardly an alpine, but it's fantastic to have so much flower at this time of year.

Clematis cirrhosa Jingle Bells

It has got up to the roof on one side of the house, and tangled round the telephone line, which I am going to have to do something about, and has leapt the gap into next door's laburnum on the other, which I don't mind at all.

Contribution from Helen Johnstone 31 January 2014, 07:35top / bottom of page

Hi Jon

what a fabulous clematis.  As someone who is heading rapidly towards the point of needing to consider a bulb frame I wonder if you would consider sharing some photos of yours and tips?

Contribution from Margaret Young 31 January 2014, 17:20top / bottom of page

Spectacular Clematis, Jon !

Helen :

"Contribution from Helen Johnstone 29 January 2014, 18:23 top / bottom of page

I don't have a sand bed yet but I am hoping to get a bulb frame for next winter. "

Some great detailed advice on making a plunge bed from Anne Wright ( one of the Speakers that the  AGS Birmingham Bulb Day  in February )  here ; http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=8605.0    sizes can be changed, of course.

Plenty  reports of plunge beds in Ian Young's Bulb Log Diary  too  ( another of the Sepakers at the AGS Brimingham Event, giving the Roy Eliott Lecture)  here : http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb 

- there is an index available too, http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/index.pdf

It's amazing how many great little bulbs can be grown in such beds -  Martin R. might share more about his, mentioned in another thread on the subject :

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=8758.msg237979#msg237979

This discussion Thread: Flowering in January 2014 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion