Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Flowering in August 2011

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 03 August 2011, 16:00. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 03 August 2011, 16:00top / bottom of page

It has been a bit quiet on here recently, with no shows to go to. Here is what is flowering in my greenhouse at the moment.

Haemanthus humilis

A lovely South African bulb, which has two huge leaves flat on the top of the pot for most of the year.

Haemanthus humilis
Strumaria gemmata

Another South African bulb, this one much smaller, and not as eye-catching, but with its own distinct charm.

Strumaria gemmata
Tigridia vanhouttei

This was a present from another member. I have never seen it in flower before. The first flower this year opened on Sunday, when I was out all day, and I thought perhaps I was fated not to see it out, but this morning there was another flower.

Tigridia vanhouttei
Tropaeolum smithii

I was delighted to receive seed of this from the SRGC exchange last winter, and even more delighted when one of the seeds germinated. Here is the first flower. The plant is suffering at the moment in these hot dry conditions, even in the shade, and I suspect these flowers will not set seed, so I'm trying to keep it going and get more flowers in cooler, more humid conditions.

Tropaeolum smithii
Rose of Sharon (Hypericum calycinum)

From a friend's garden.

Rose of Sharon (Hypericum calycinum)
Alstroemeria hybrids

Also from my friend's garden

Alstroemeria hybrids
White Cosmos
White Cosmos

This discussion Thread: Flowering in August 2011 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion