Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Flowering in August 2012

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 13 August 2012, 21:48. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 13 August 2012, 21:48top / bottom of page

As autumn draws closer, some of the late summer bulbs have produced flowers.

Cyrtanthus Edwina

This cyrtanthus hybrid is a little big really, but fantastic when it flowers.

Cyrtanthus Edwina
Ponerorchis graminifolia

I was pleased to get a spike of flowers this year, but really I struggle to grow these, and would welcome some advice.

Ponerorchis graminifolia
Habranthus

This is the first flowering from seed of Rhodophiala mendocina from one of the exchanges. It is clearly not what it claimed to be; I think it is a Habranthus, probably H. robustus. It is a nice plant, with quite strong pink flowers with white throats, but I do get frustrated by the level of apparently deliberate misnaming of seed in the various exchanges. Certainly if you grow anything from seed, you should check its identity before re-submitting its seed to an exchange, and perpetuating the error.

Habranthus
Haemanthus humilis

Finally, about two weeks ago, this Haemanthus stirred back into life.

Haemanthus humilis

This is another big plant (that fluffy pink ball is about 4in across, the leaves will be flat on the surface of the pot and 8in across when fully grown), but it is welcome to any space it needs.

This discussion Thread: Flowering in August 2012 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion