Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame: Alstroemeria magnifica

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 28 April 2016, 19:16. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 24 April 2016, 22:05top / bottom of page
Alstroemeria magnifica

I haven't exhibited much at the shows so far this year.  One reason for this is that an ancient seedling of A. magnifica, which has sat in its pot and sulked for years, has this year exploded, and has engulfed much of one side of the greenhouse.  Growing up it, and all through it, is a tropaeolum which I grew from seed as a hybrid, but which seems pretty similar to T. austropurpureum, if a bit redder, and a bit later in the season.  The whole arrangement is magnificent, but makes it more or less impossible to liberate any of the other plants for showing.

Alstroemeria magnifica

As you can see, the tropaeolum has discovered and swallowed up a hanging pot containing a succulent.

Also swamped by these two thugs are some nice forms of Scilla peruviana, and a good pink Lapeirousia hybrid.  I suppose next year I shall have to extract the alstroemeria from the sand plunge, and see how well it will cope in a cold frame - it is just too big for its current location.

Tropaeolum smithii

Meanwhile, on the other side of the greenhouse, a self-sown seedling of T. smithii, which germinated in the autumn, is now tying all the bulbs into knots.

Tropaeolum smithii
Tropaeolum azureum

I wish there were forms of T. azureum which stayed the colour the buds are when they first open.

Tropaeolum azureum

Contribution from Margaret Young 27 April 2016, 17:17top / bottom of page

Quite a glorious revolution you show there in your alpine house, Jon.  Some plants are very good at showing us who is the boss, are they not ?!

Contribution from John Good 28 April 2016, 19:16top / bottom of page

I've never seen anything quite like this before, and I've had some thugs in the alpine house over the years, notably an unnamed almost hardy passiflora from a John Watson collection, also too beautiful to weed out without feeling some regret!

This discussion Thread: Alstroemeria magnifica - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Alpine House or Cold Frame
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion