Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Tours

AGS Tours: Indian Himalaya, Himachal Pradesh 2011

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

A forgotten topic and seems like a forgotten tour

Go to latest contribution by Margaret Thorne, 29 March 2015, 14:28. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 6:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 01 May 2013, 10:55top / bottom of page

This was a most exciting tour and it seems a pity there is nothing on the web site. This was the first camp site where we met our trekking crew. Perhaps the experts could contribute a few pictures!

Contribution from Susan Read 01 May 2013, 11:08top / bottom of page

This was one of the more interesting river crossings.

Contribution from Susan Read 01 May 2013, 11:26top / bottom of page

The second stage of the tour involved a road crossing of the Rohtang Pass before a further short trek. Ankle deep mud made it necessary to finish the crossing on foot leaving the lines of trucks stuck on the road.

Exploring around the pass this was one of the highlights....shown me by a local (many people were abandoning vehicles to go wandering)

Contribution from Ken Curtis 02 May 2013, 13:03top / bottom of page

Susan, thanks for sharing. I hope more will follow.

Contribution from Susan Read 03 May 2013, 08:30top / bottom of page

I will add a few more from time to time.

When we returned to the bridge a few days later our trekking crew had got to work.

Contribution from Susan Read 03 May 2013, 08:41top / bottom of page

I think this is Primula macrophylla var macrophylla.

This is the primula growing in quantity in the marshy area above the Rohtang pass. Any comments on the correct name?

Contribution from Susan Read 04 May 2013, 12:01top / bottom of page

I use the names P macrophylla and/or moorcroftiana to remember the above!

The day before crossing the Rohtang we had planned to have a day exploring the pass but the traffic jam made it necessary to stop part way up at a shanty town of cafes.

Scrambling up the nearest hillside proved quite rewarding

Above, Primula rosea (high up on very steep damp scree adjacent to snow melt). A sizeable colony was entirely this shade of pink. The next picture above looks like Rh. lepidotum but the leaves look to me more like Rh. lowndesii. The third one may be P nivalis? Plant identification sessions got a bit neglected at this stage of the tour as least as far as I was concerned!

Contribution from Susan Read 04 May 2013, 18:39top / bottom of page

A colony of primula near the Gaddi (shepherd's) bridge. I seem to remember this is P obtusifolia, and is probably the one shown above I named as P macrophylla! (Thanks to our younger expert for taking me to this group under an overhang half way up the side of a mountain)

A few yards from the bridge Meconopsis aculeata.

Contribution from Susan Read 06 May 2013, 13:35top / bottom of page

The first night was spent at Shimla, quite a long drive from Delhi, but in a luxurious bus. Our hotel was rather interesing, just as it must have been in Edwardian times, with rooms in bungalows around the grounds.

The next morning we had our first view of Shimla in daylight.

Continuing up into the hills there were some opportunities for roadside botanizing.

After camping the first night there was time for a little culture (if you were prepared to take your boots off)

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 6:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   next

This discussion Thread: Indian Himalaya, Himachal Pradesh 2011 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Tours
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion