Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Seed Exchange

AGS Seed Exchange: What have you grown from AGS seed?

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Alexandra Rice

Here are some starter pictures of one member's success, please add your success story too.

Go to latest contribution by Diane Clement, 21 June 2011, 20:58. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Sandra Rice 03 June 2008, 12:54top / bottom of page
Success by following the instructions in Growing Alpines from Seed lea

Laurie Jones of the Warwickshire Group was delighted with the improved germination and growth that were achieved after following the instruction given in the AGS leaflet. Here are some of the results from the 2006 Seed Distribution. Please add your own success story and pictures.

Success by following the instructions in Growing A
Young Meconopsis horidula plants
Young Meconopsis horidula plants
Meconopsis in flower
Meconopsis in flower

Contribution from Sandra Rice 03 June 2008, 13:12top / bottom of page
Lewisia cotyledon
 Lewisia cotyledon
Primula japonica seedlings
Primula japonica seedlings

Contribution from Peter Clarke 18 July 2008, 20:15top / bottom of page
Plants from AGS seed.

Nicotiana noctiflora from the last distribution. Grows to 12" high, no scent unfortunaely.

Plants from AGS seed.

Contribution from Peter Clarke 18 July 2008, 20:36top / bottom of page

This Calandrinia (spec. orange ex GK4698) is from the 2005-6 distribution. Has anyone any idea if it has been identified? It has a compact tufted growth of elongated, round, smooth green leaves.

Contribution from Diane Clement 03 August 2008, 22:11top / bottom of page

Pete, the Nicotiana is a super plant. I am doing a bit of detective work on the orange Calandrinia, but could do with some more information - could you post a picture of the whole plant showing the leaves? Also is the orange colour in the photo a good representation?

Contribution from Diane Clement 11 August 2008, 09:23top / bottom of page

Pete has sent me some more pictures showing the foliage. At the moment, I think it is Calandrinia skottbergii but I am doing a bit more detective work on this

Calandrinia G&K4698
Calandrinia G&K4698
Calandrinia G&K4698
Calandrinia G&K4698

Contribution from Peter Clarke 16 August 2008, 18:55top / bottom of page
Androsace sp. ex Nepal CC4442.

From last Winters distribution - this Androsace has just flowered on long stems, small unimprssive flowers but the plant sends out nice red stolons.

Androsace sp. ex Nepal CC4442.

Androsace ex Nepal CC4442 flower.

Contribution from Colin Dolding 18 January 2011, 17:22top / bottom of page

Can anybody give an update on your Calandrinia Pete, I see it appears in the seed exchange each year so it must still be around!

Contribution from Jon Evans 20 January 2011, 17:40top / bottom of page

Hi

I just wanted to say that I already have Tropaeolum seedlings 2 inches high from this year's distribution, received and sown just before Christmas.

Before I sow them I soak in hot water (hot to touch but not boiling) and leave them in the water for 24 hours. Then I plant them about half an inch from the top of a deep pot, and place in my garage which stays at around 10 degrees C.

I will leave them on the garage windowsill this spring (no sun - north east facing) so they grow as long as possible, stop watering when they down, and leave them in the garage over the summer.

My mature plants will come in out of the greenhouse when they die down, and join the seedlings in the garage - that way they stay warm and dry without baking. Repot in June if necessary. Start watering again early September or earlier if new shoots appear.

T. polyphyllum and T. incisum do not follow this regime - they have a later cycle, and T. incisum is only just appearing now. No sign of T. polyphyllum yet.

Contribution from Steve Law 20 June 2011, 19:19top / bottom of page
Species Penstemon from the AGS

I seem to be developing a bit of a thing for the wild Penstemon. The best as yet have been albertinus and superbus grown from AGS seed

Species Penstemon from the AGS
More Penstemon

Hang on - how does one add more than one picture to a posting? The one above was superbus. This one is albertinus (possibly more correctly a form of humilis)

More Penstemon

Contribution from Diane Clement 21 June 2011, 20:58top / bottom of page

Well done with your penstemons, Steve, and thanks for posting the pictures.

In answer to how do you post more than one picture to a posting - if you don't add any more text, they will automatically end up side by side (up to three pictures side by side). As soon as you add more text, a new section will start, so the next picture will then end up under the new bit of text. Hope that makes it clear.

This discussion Thread: What have you grown from AGS seed? - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Seed Exchange
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion