Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Propagation (seed, cuttings, etc)

Propagation (seed, cuttings, etc): Wrightman Alpines video

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Tim Ingram

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 26 November 2011, 12:30. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 23 November 2011, 16:47top / bottom of page

Anyone taking cuttings or sowing seed may like to see this short video produced by the American alpine nursery, Wrightman Alpines; one of a number of stimulating videos they have made on growing alpines.

www.wrightmanalpines.com/video/seedlings-and-cuttings

Contribution from Margaret Young 23 November 2011, 18:08top / bottom of page

Good link to the Wrightman video, Tim... they also have videos of Josef Halda building crevice gardens and such like..... but, I must point this out.... they are in Ontario, Canada, and might well resist the appellation "American" !

Contribution from Tim Ingram 23 November 2011, 19:41top / bottom of page

Oops! Apologies for my geographical lapse. The plants still look good!

Contribution from Tim Ingram 26 November 2011, 10:00top / bottom of page

Difficult to know where to put these couple of photos, but they have been stimulated by the very similar nursery experience shown on the Wrightman video.

First, overwintering cuttings on the glasshouse bench - a very stimulating sight for me after a few years of not propagating plants, and the basis of what we as gardeners do. Second, quite surprising germination of Euphorbia rigida seed sown in early November. Surprising because the seed was 7 years old and I had not expected good or such rapid germination.

Contribution from Margaret Young 26 November 2011, 12:15top / bottom of page
surprising germination of Euphorbia rigida seed sown in early November.

My goodness, I cannot claim any great experience with older/stored Euphorbia seed but this example you show Tim, is quite remarkable.

The subject of seed viability/longevity is a fascinating one and you give a great lesson : never give up on some old seed you find; sow it and hope, it may bring a super reward!

Now, of course, you must get the seedlings through the winter ! I would think they will be pretty tough, though, won't they?

Contribution from Tim Ingram 26 November 2011, 12:30top / bottom of page

Good light and an airy bouyant atmosphere in the glasshouse should help Maggi (I must say I would have preferred germination in the spring!). Anything I know will germinate quickly I normally hold back until spring to sow (and give a little bottom heat). The warming, lengthening days are good for the plants and for me! Slow germinators we sow outside in a cold frame, and there is that excitement of watching the pots to see signs of germination.

Have just received the SRGC seedlist!

This discussion Thread: Wrightman Alpines video - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Propagation (seed, cuttings, etc)
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion