Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Propagation (seed, cuttings, etc)

Propagation (seed, cuttings, etc): Storing cyclamen seed until sowing

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: june saddington

Go to latest contribution by june saddington, 27 August 2012, 19:28. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from june saddington 25 August 2012, 17:21top / bottom of page
quick question

I've purchased some various Cyclamen seeds for sowing this Autumn which from Diane Clement's excellent Blog appears to be the best time to sow them, my question is should I be storing the seed packets in the fridge.? Or is there not any real benefit from doing so..?

Contribution from Diane Clement 26 August 2012, 21:42top / bottom of page

Hi June

Thanks for you comments about my blog, I'm glad you find it useful.  I don't think it will make any difference if you store them in the fridge or just in a room for a few weeks (as long as they don't get too warm in the room).  The main thing is to keep them dry until you are ready to sow them. Good luck with germination in the autumn, let us know how you get on.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 27 August 2012, 08:32top / bottom of page

June - if you have fresh seed this summer it is best to sow it straightaway (even while sticky from the capsules). Germination from the autumn leafing hederifolium can be nearly immediate, whilst other species tend to germinate when they naturally come in to leaf (so coum in winter for example). With older dried seed I have always soaked it in tepid water before sowing, which plumps it up again. There is no need to put seed in the fridge unless you maybe want to store it for a future season. The best place to keep sown seed is in a cold frame or tray outside, protected from too much sun and anything that might disturb the pots. You can get some wonderful variation from these plants and different species flower over a tremendous long time. As Diane says, good luck.

Contribution from june saddington 27 August 2012, 19:28top / bottom of page
Many Thanks..

Thanks for that info, very usefull.

I'm going to start sowing soon.

This discussion Thread: Storing cyclamen seed until sowing - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Propagation (seed, cuttings, etc)
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion