Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Propagation (seed, cuttings, etc)

Propagation (seed, cuttings, etc): Aquilegia grahamii seed collection.

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: SUSAN ADDERLEY

Go to latest contribution by Margaret Young, 25 April 2014, 10:35. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from SUSAN ADDERLEY 25 April 2014, 09:33top / bottom of page

I wish to collect seed from this lovely plant. Any advice regards seed collection and sowing would be very much appreciated.

Contribution from Margaret Young 25 April 2014, 10:35top / bottom of page

Aquilegia grahamii is a charming plant, a Utah endemic  and there are others species, similar but even smaller - there seems to be some confusion about the ID of these plants in cultivation  - a familiar question for many Aquilegia species,as it happens. You may find this link interesting ( it contains others of use, too): https://www.nargs.org/forum/aquilegia-grahamii

I like to collect Aquilegia seed just as the capsules begin to split and let them open in a paper bag. You can normally see the colour begin to change and the skin of the capsule wrinkle a bit. Better to cut them a tad early than miss the seed.I like to sow them fresh and  in situ in a raised bed or trough rather than in a pot. I will leave it to others to suggest their methods for that.

Apologies for this very large text - not sure how it happened.

M.Y.

This discussion Thread: Aquilegia grahamii seed collection. - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Propagation (seed, cuttings, etc)
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion