Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Problems with Cultivation and Identification: Uvularia forms?

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: john dower

This is a picture of Uvularia grandiflora which appears to exhibit two forms. Is this normal?

Go to latest contribution by john dower, 15 April 2009, 21:16. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from john dower 14 April 2009, 16:25top / bottom of page

Contribution from John Humphries 14 April 2009, 19:23top / bottom of page

Hi John, Yes the smaller paler form is Uvularia perfoliata

Distinct in being shorter, hairless and broader bell shaped flowers than the darker regular U. grandiflora you have in the same pot....there is also U. grandiflora var pallida, with the same growth as the regular 'Merrybell' but a lighter colour as in U. perfoliata.

Contribution from john dower 14 April 2009, 19:55top / bottom of page

Thanks John. It makes a mess of my entry for Saturday but Heigh Ho! Will probably enter it anyway. John

p.s. Nice pic. J.

Contribution from John Humphries 14 April 2009, 22:27top / bottom of page

Thanks JD

Only took it today, purely by chance as saw the Bee in situ.

How did you come by two different plants in the one pot??

Cheers John H. Hampshire

Meanwhile what B do you think did that.

Contribution from Diane Clement 15 April 2009, 07:38top / bottom of page

I suppose birds (pigeons in my garden) or vine weevils are the most likely culprits. Do vine weevils eat flowers like this? I thought they were more likely to eat leaves of shrubby subjects. Worth a spray, anyway,

Contribution from Cliff Booker 15 April 2009, 08:05top / bottom of page
TRILLIUM DAMAGE - IDENTIFY OF THE LITTLE BEGGARS.

Hi John and Di, I have exactly the same damage to trilliums in my garden (nibbled foliage as well), which I presumed to be the work of field mice or voles (the stems are certainly sturdy enough to support the little critters), but as I also host pigeons and more than my fair share of slugs and snails then I would need to see the culprits in action. I haven't noticed any vine weevils for quite a number of years (but they ARE very elusive).

Contribution from John Humphries 15 April 2009, 08:18top / bottom of page

Thanks Cliff and Diane, Strangely, the foliage all seems intact.

I certainly have voles and mice...Abundant food supply! Lots of evidence of loss from them but I would have expected whole heads to go if they are doing it.

Also have woodpigeons and lots of other birds including a Robin and a wren both nesting with 3 feet of here.....but they are too busy to bother with trillium flowers. Especially when there are lots of primulas about.

No, I suspect the Vine Weevil is the culprit. I had a torchlight search in the middle of the night but failed to find any.

Contribution from john dower 15 April 2009, 16:01top / bottom of page

Hi John,

The plant was purcgased at a show as grandiflora and just grew like that.

The problwm now is to split it into the two different forms.

I will take it to Solihull on saturday (and see if anyone notices!) and make plans to separate the rhizomes at a time when it will still be clear which is which but as late as possible to avoid damage.

Any practical advice would be most welcome.

Contribution from John Humphries 15 April 2009, 17:40top / bottom of page

The book says increase by division of dormant clumps!

In your case it is one of separation, not so easily identified when dormant, although the rooot systems may indeed be readily identifyable(I doubt it).

Post flowering, I would be inclined to give it a good soak, knock it out the pot, and pull the two plants apart, repotting immediately. I have certainly received bare root while in flower and successfully planted it out. I would think the propagation rule would be to split just before coming into growth with 3 or 4 growing points to each split.

Has anyone had a practical experience to the converse of this??

Cheers, John H Hampshire

Contribution from john dower 15 April 2009, 21:16top / bottom of page

Cheers John, I will cogitate on this until the appropriate moment and then take the plunge.

This discussion Thread: Uvularia forms? - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Problems with Cultivation and Identification
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion