Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790

Problems with Cultivation and Identification: Unknown Meconopsis and Primula

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jim McGregor

Request for information received from Sichuan Alpine Ecology Study Center, China

Go to latest contribution by Diane Clement, 08 September 2008, 20:20. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 03 September 2008, 16:16top / bottom of page

The following request was received at the AGS Centre from the Sichuan Alpine Ecology Study Center, China, asking if we could help.

Here is their query:

This is Derek from Sichuan Alpine Ecology Study Center, China. Recently we organized an investigation into the area of Mt. Xuebaoding, the peak of Min Shan Mountains, which is located in the north of Sichuan Province, China. During the investigation we discovered two species of alpine vegetations in the bushes that we have never seen. The primula is as high as 1 meter, which is much higher than normal primulas. The meconopsis just grows in the middle of a cluster of bushes, which we guest prevent it from being eaten by yaks. Its stem with hairy thorns is more or less as high as 1 meter. Now I just forward you their pictures and could you please let me know if they are new species. Thank you very much!
Best regards!
Derek Wang

Here are the pictures they sent:
Here are the pictures they sent:

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 03 September 2008, 17:01top / bottom of page

Tried blowing up the primula picture but the definition is poor. The height, robustness of stem and general shape of the flower head suggest florindae to me but I would have thought that was well enough known to be recognised. I also don't know if the location is anywhere near its range.

Contribution from John Richards 08 September 2008, 18:11top / bottom of page

The primula is P. orbicularis, a widespread, common and very variabl;e species in alpine districts of central Sichuan. The Meconopsis seems to be Chris Grey-Wilson's fairly newly described species M. sinomaculata which is known to grow on the Balang Shan.

Contribution from Diane Clement 08 September 2008, 20:20top / bottom of page

"The Meconopsis seems to be Chris Grey-Wilson's fairly newly described species M. sinomaculata which is known to grow on the Balang Shan." It's a very strange Meconopsis, looking more like a Papaver - is that because it's growing up through shrubs?

This discussion Thread: Unknown Meconopsis and Primula - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Problems with Cultivation and Identification
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion