Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790

Problems with Cultivation and Identification: Orobanche in the Dolomites

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Mel Linney

Can anyone help with the identification of two Broomrapes

Go to latest contribution by Margaret Young, 09 February 2012, 11:19. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Mel Linney 13 January 2012, 10:52top / bottom of page

Elaine and I found these Orobanche in the meadow near Colfosco and are not completely sure of their identification. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 14 January 2012, 16:47top / bottom of page

Hi Mel,

I hope you can attract positive identifications for your lovely orobanches ... they have baffled us for a number of years. I have any number of images showing a range of sizes, forms and colours from pale mauve through yellow, orange to dark ruby red. Books and the internet offer few clues and often conflicting descriptions. These stunning parasitic plants always create interest and deserve further investigation.

Kind regards,

Cliff

Contribution from Mel Linney 08 February 2012, 10:30top / bottom of page

Thanks for the reply Cliff. Sorry for the tardiness I've been up to my neck in Home improvements and not just decorating. Who said retirement was boring. Anyway back to the Orobanche. At the time I was 99% certain that the first picture was O minor and I think the legumes growing around it confirm my suspicions. The second one was a little harder but in the end both Elaine and I thought that it was O gracilis, again the legumes being the deciding factor. I have to agree though that this is a very difficult Genus and one that may be worth further investigation.

Contribution from Margaret Young 09 February 2012, 11:19top / bottom of page

Anyone interested in Orobanche and Pedicularis may care to read

"IT?S OK BEING A PARASITE WHEN YOU GIVE SO MUCH BACK" by Cliff Booker

in International Rock Gardener September 2011

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2011Sep291317322753IRG-21-Sept-2011.pdf

Mel: good luck with your renovations.... it'll be bliss when it's over!

This discussion Thread: Orobanche in the Dolomites - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Problems with Cultivation and Identification
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion