Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Problems with Cultivation and Identification: Mystery Himalayan

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

White flower so far unidentified 4800m Everest area August picture accidentally added to previous thread.

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 27 November 2009, 15:22. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Margaret Thorne 24 November 2009, 22:51top / bottom of page

Susan, I think your plant is Hypecoum leptocarpum, a member of the Papaveraceae usually found in dryer areas. Thank you for posting pictures of your latest Everest Trek.

Contribution from Susan Read 25 November 2009, 12:56top / bottom of page

Margaret,

Many thanks, I am pretty sure that is it. Google has 2 similar pics and lots of interesting stuff re medicine inc NIH work. I had looked through lists of plants in Poppy family without success! Hope the pic appears below. It was growing on lateral moraine at about 4800m.

Contribution from Margaret Thorne 26 November 2009, 10:05top / bottom of page

There is not unanimous agreement about the taxonomy of Hypecoum and it is sometimes described under a separate family, the Fumariaceae. Flora of China includes it in Papaveraceae, but has it in a separate sub-family, the Fumarioideae. It is genus 13 in the FOC Papaveraceae key.

Contribution from Susan Read 27 November 2009, 15:22top / bottom of page

Again many thanks...Re Flora of China, I am not sure about the number of petals but the 3-fold symmetry certainly fits

This discussion Thread: Mystery Himalayan - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Problems with Cultivation and Identification
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion