Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790

Problems with Cultivation and Identification: Identification of unknown seedling wanted.

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Kerry Mitchell

A 'ring-in' among a pot of seeds from the last seed exchange.

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 07 December 2012, 12:28. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Kerry Mitchell 07 December 2012, 11:56top / bottom of page
Addition to original post.

am a relatively new member & have never posted before, so hope I get this right. I am also inexperienced with alpine & rock garden plants. Sydney, Australia is hardly alpine territory but I have been growing some interesting plants from the seed exchange. This was an errant seedling in a pot of other seedlings & I thought it looked interesting so I separated it. It has done well on the cool, shady side of the shed but I 'cooked it' a bit when I brought it up to the house to photograph. I hope someone can tell me what it is. Is it a weed? Regards, Kerry

Addition to original post.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 07 December 2012, 12:28top / bottom of page

Kerry - it looks like Lysimachia minoricensis. This is a biennial which was an endemic to Menorca but now extinct in the wild and only occurs in cultivation. Rather striking silvered leaves! (It reminds me of Helleborus lividus).

This discussion Thread: Identification of unknown seedling wanted. - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Problems with Cultivation and Identification
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion