Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Problems with Cultivation and Identification: Identification of plant on the Kitzsteinhorn, Kaprun, Austria

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Mel Linney

Go to latest contribution by Mel Linney, 29 November 2014, 19:22. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Mel Linney 19 November 2014, 20:16top / bottom of page

I am struggling to identify this plant growing on a cliff on the Kitzteinhorn at about 3000 Metres. I thought it may be a Saxifrage and there was S oppositifolia growing on the same cliff. There's not much to go on as I was about 20 Metres away when I took the picture. Many thanks for any help.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 19 November 2014, 22:57top / bottom of page

Hi Mel, can you do a close up of it? At that disyance could be Saxifraga aizoides but there are other yellowish things about like Minuartia sedoides. Was it on limestone?

Contribution from Mel Linney 20 November 2014, 21:39top / bottom of page

Hello Martin, I imagine that area is perhaps neutral acidity but I couldn't say for sure. I've zoomed in as much as I can without too much pixelation. I have also posted a picture of the Saxifraga oppositifolia in the same area. I have to say I thought it may be S azoides.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 20 November 2014, 22:09top / bottom of page

At least that's got close enough in to dismiss the Minuartia as a possibility, definitely a yellow saxifrage

Contribution from Mel Linney 22 November 2014, 08:27top / bottom of page

Hello Martin, The only other species I thought it could be is Androsace vitaliana.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 22 November 2014, 12:27top / bottom of page

Certainly a sax', Mel ... definitely not the Androsace vitaliana.  Maybe Adrian Young could confirm the species?

Contribution from John Richards 23 November 2014, 11:21top / bottom of page

Hi Mel. I think this is probably a tight form of Saxifraga exarata although I can't see the leaves and it could be S. sedoides, S. aphylla, S. muscoides or S. seguieri. These little yellowish-flowered high-level mossies of the Alps are not easy to tell apart, but differ in leaf shape. They are neglected in the garden but make excellent trough plants. I am including a picture of a laxer form of S. exarata from the Sella Pass, but it can be as tight as your picture.

Contribution from Mel Linney 29 November 2014, 19:22top / bottom of page

Cliff, John and Martin, thanks for your help. I know there wasn't much to go on but I think Saxifraga exarata is the most probable species.

This discussion Thread: Identification of plant on the Kitzsteinhorn, Kaprun, Austria - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Problems with Cultivation and Identification
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion