Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Problems with Cultivation and Identification: GENTIAN ID.

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: GEOFFREY ALDERTON

Gentian id

Go to latest contribution by Margaret Young, 15 August 2012, 10:25. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

top / bottom of page

Hi Please can someone ID this Gentian for me. I purchaced them from my local garden centre yesterday .

Contribution from Geoffrey Alderton 12 June 2010, 21:57top / bottom of page

Hi again.Presently unable to post a picture of the plant in question but I will keep trying. Regards Geoff.

OK finaly managed it. Hope the picture is ok. Regards Geoff.

Contribution from Geoffrey Alderton 17 June 2010, 10:35top / bottom of page

Hi. I think I have answered my own question. There is a picture in issue 124 of The Rock Garden, page105, showing a pan of Gentiana scabra. I think my plants are the same. Regards Geoff.

Contribution from Rick Lambert 13 March 2012, 15:06top / bottom of page

Hi,

Your 2010 contribution reminded me that in 2010 and 2011 there were lots of Gentiana septemfida hybrids or cultivars on sale in Garden centers. I bought a blue one and a lovely pale blue form. They are just starting to sprout again. Gentiana scabra also turns up. I guess the growers can bulk up the plant quickly to flowering size and flog them,

Still we gain a good plant.

Rick

Contribution from Rick Lambert 29 July 2012, 22:13top / bottom of page
Gentiana around Saas-Fee.

I would be grateful if anyone can help confirm, or otherwise name, these Gentiana species.

1. Is this Gentiana nivalis (above Saas-Almagel Mattmark Reservoir)

Gentiana around Saas-Fee.

2. Is this Gentiana pannonica (no spots inside)Furggstalden

3. Gentiana / Gentianella

My closest guess is Gentiana germanica but also found it on Kappelweg downwards from Saas-Fee with only four petals.

Contribution from Rick Lambert 13 August 2012, 23:27top / bottom of page

Cliff Booker's picture (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151016573302632&set=o.166202326809697&type=1&relevant_count=1) helps to identify this as Gentianella campestris.

Rick

Contribution from Margaret Young 15 August 2012, 10:25top / bottom of page

I agree with your suggestions for 1 and 2, Rick.

Also for no. 3, but that link to Cliff's photo does not work so here is one to one of Cliff's pictures on Alpenpix :

http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/temperate/?gal=AlpenPix&id=3509

Cheers,

M

Added: so much variation in these, as in so many other plants- always good to keep an open mind about colours etc!

This discussion Thread: GENTIAN ID. - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Problems with Cultivation and Identification
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion