Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Problems with Cultivation and Identification: Fritillaria - premature die-back

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jim McGregor

Go to latest contribution by John Richards, 15 April 2008, 10:58. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 08 April 2008, 15:56top / bottom of page

For the last few years, I have had occasional problems with whole pans of Frits stopping growing mid-season and dying back prematurely. I know from experience that there will be very little in the way of bulbs in the pot when I try to repot them. Here are two it has just happened to - the only two so far this year thank goodness.

Fritillaria pinardii

As you may be able to see, the flowers only just showed through the grit before it started to get sick. Here is what it looked like last year!

Fritillaria conica

The flower buds never even showed colour.

F. conica dead

and how it was last year:

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions?

Contribution from John Richards 15 April 2008, 10:58top / bottom of page
Fritillaria dieback

I too suffered from Frit dieback, mostly restricted to Greek and west Turkish species. I asked the Panel of Experts for advice, and two experts responded. The advice basically suggested 1) if possible don't grow in pots, but either planted out in frames or in the open garden (lattice pots are possible if plants are required for exhibition) and 2) don't grow in the alpine house. I now have very few frits under glass and have suffered no dieback since, although I have yet to find a really good spot in this woodland-type garden. John Richards

This discussion Thread: Fritillaria - premature die-back - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Problems with Cultivation and Identification
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion