Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790

Problems with Cultivation and Identification: Draba

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Judy Wall

I'd have several Drabas collected from seed exchanges and started from seed

Go to latest contribution by John Richards, 10 February 2009, 10:03. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Judy Wall 15 January 2009, 12:21top / bottom of page

Do seed from Draba come true? How far apart should I plant differant varieities, to retain true varities, with crossing? Who is a leading expert I could send pics to very if varieites are named properly? here a pic of one I'd like varified to start with called D. bryoides in my garden in Canada USDA zone 4

Contribution from John Richards 15 January 2009, 13:11top / bottom of page
Draba ossetica

Hi Judy. I am certainly not an expert on Draba, although I grow a few. However, I can tell you that Draba bryoides (now often treated as a variety of D. rigida) has yellow flowers. There are not many caespitose drabas with white flowers, and this one is almost certainly a Caucasian relative of D. miollissima called D. ossetica. It is currently in vogue in the UK, and a few growers grow it to a high standard. It seems to need more water and cooler conditions than most drabas, at least in summer, and in the alpine house seems to do best in a plastic pot. We put it outside in summer, after flowering. In Canada it may well be happy outside all year. Most (?all) drabas are self-compatible (set seed on their own pollen) and so tend to come true. I have not heard of any hybrids.

Contribution from Judy Wall 03 February 2009, 21:03top / bottom of page
Draba ossetica

Thank you John for helping me identify/rename this plant.....Does anyone know of a book or point me to a registry, so I can make sure my other Drabas are named correct?

Contribution from John Richards 10 February 2009, 10:03top / bottom of page
Identification of Drabas

Unfortunately there is no monograph for Draba that I am aware of, and this might make a suitable target for the aspiring monograph writer with alpine interests. This is a very widespread genus, and there are exciting alpine species in North America, Spanish mountains, Turkey, the Caucasus, Siberia, China and Japan, to name a few! Consequently there is no one flora that can help you, although the majestic 'The Caucasus and its Flowers' has many of the species of most interest to the alpine gardener. The account in the AGS 'Encyclopedia of Alpines' is useful but dated and with few illustrations and does not contain some of the more exciting species such as D. ossetica.

This discussion Thread: Draba - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Problems with Cultivation and Identification
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion