Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Online Show

Online Show: Results now Published

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Ken Curtis, 22 January 2013, 03:48. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 07 January 2013, 16:52top / bottom of page
The Results are Up

Hi Everyone

Just to let you know that judging has finished and you can now view the results. My thanks to all the exhibitors, and the judges who have worked hard at a busy time of year.

My apologies to all those whose entries were NAS (not according to schedule); I regard each one as my fault, not yours (and particularly the two which were my own entries !). The two classes which caused the most problem were class 9 (alpine plants in a pot or container), where I feel the class description needs adjustment to make it clear what is required, and class 70 (UK native), which always seems to cause problems.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 07 January 2013, 19:05top / bottom of page

I really like that planting by Ken Curtis in Class 3. Any more information on plants and planting conditions?

And Paul (Lewis); very nice to see how your alpine bed is developing (and I like that Silene in the tufa despite not fitting the schedule!). I wonder how many local people are being turned on to alpines planted in this way?

A general comment: are there any alpine gardeners who might also describe ongoing projects in their gardens? Or show their gardens changing through the year (I am trying to make a video of a garden bed by taking still photos every few days).

Contribution from Ken Curtis 09 January 2013, 14:10top / bottom of page

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you liked the planting submitted. Plants are growing on a slightly sloping bed that receives sun for most of the day. The soil is deep and fairly rich and on the alkaline side. Easy plants are allowed to spread (sometimes to much) to tie the whole together and others are placed here and there for contrast and color. That sounds like a formula but really it's just trial and error and having fun with plants.

Contribution from Margaret Young 09 January 2013, 16:08top / bottom of page

Ken wrote "That sounds like a formula but really it's just trial and error and having fun with plants."

That in itself is a great "formula" for success, don't you think? The whole point of gardening is to expand one's knowledge and experience while enjoying the plants and the process, I reckon.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 13 January 2013, 10:12top / bottom of page

And there are only some dozen or so gardens on show, all fascinating and distinctive in their different ways. There are often several hundred plants displayed at the Alpine Shows and there must be an equal number of striking gardens amongst the AGS membership of 7000! It would be really nice to explore some of those gardens shown in more detail.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 21 January 2013, 18:34top / bottom of page

Ken - I have just been reading some of the contributions by eastern European and Russian botanists and growers about pulsatillas (on SRGC) and that remarkable plant you have - P. jarmiliae(kostyczewii). I had seed of this once from Josef Halda but never kept the plants going. I wonder how many people grow this? Its habitat looks quite harsh but your plants look to be growing without a great deal of special treatment. In flower it looks more like an anemone but in leaf and fruit a pulsatilla. A most interesting plant!

Contribution from Ken Curtis 22 January 2013, 03:48top / bottom of page

Tim, Until reading the SRGC postings I had no idea if anyone else was growing this plant, although I know Halda offered seed for several years. Considering your comments and those of others it seems difficult to get going. I experienced very poor germination and only had one plant but it began to spread after a couple of years and now is almost unstoppable but it does not produce fertile seed. I have had some limited success moving plants with a large ball of soil and planting immediately. Perhaps we are just lucky if the plants we like decide to like us back.

This discussion Thread: Results now Published - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Online Show
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion