Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Any Other Topics

Any Other Topics: Schachen diary

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Anne Marise GIBSON

Go to latest contribution by Jenny Wainwright-Klein, 10 July 2011, 10:11. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Anne Marise GIBSON 23 May 2011, 07:17top / bottom of page
New diary

Just found this new diary and it looks very interesting. The idea of having a garden away from the infrastucture of roads and "civilisation" is not unusual I believe in Europe. Do visitors just hike up there?

Contribution from John Richards 23 May 2011, 13:07top / bottom of page
Schachen Diary

I would like to add my welcome to the Schachen Diary, and hopefully it can have its own dedicated comments section as the other diaries have. It will be really interesting to hear more of this unique and historic garden which has been so successful in keeping many rare and difficult alpines in cultivation over the years. I loved the picture of the dwarf rhododendron, so similar to Rh. forrestii v. tumescens, and presumably a form of Rh. chamaethomsonii?, possibly the small-leaved form known as chamaethauma, which might be the same as forrestii tumescens anyway! according to the Coxes.

Contribution from Jenny Wainwright-Klein 10 July 2011, 10:11top / bottom of page

Thanks for the welcome and I apologize that it's taken me so long to reply, I've only just thought to look for any comments posted in the forum. Anne, yes visitors to the garden have a 3 hour hike up the mountain. I'm fairly sure that we're one of the few Alpine Gardens which are not accessable by cable car or road. John, I'll have to look into the Rhododendron name. It's an old plant and is listed as Rh. thompsonii var. chamaedoron with us but any name changes will not necessarily have been kept up with.

This discussion Thread: Schachen diary - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Any Other Topics
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion