Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Any Other Topics

Any Other Topics: King of the Alps. Where and when?

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: GEOFFREY ALDERTON

Go to latest contribution by Geoffrey Alderton, 19 March 2010, 16:47. Go to bottom of this page.

top / bottom of page

Hi. Having just retired I intend to go to Switzerland later this year. The plan is to see Eritrichium nanum growing and flowering in the wild. Where and when can I do this? Regards Geoff Alderton.

Contribution from John Richards 17 March 2010, 09:49top / bottom of page

I can't help you in Switzerland, as I have rarely botanised there, but two easy ways to see Eritrichium are (France), from La Grave, north of the Col de Lautaret take the teleferique north up into La Meije. If you get out at the intermediate station, you will see Eritrichium within minutes. (Italy, Dolomites)take a car, bus to the Pordoi Pass and walk south onto the Bindelweg or Vial del Pan which skirts the north side of the Padon ridge, with magnificent views of the Marmolada. After 1 km, south-facing spurs below the path have lots of Eritrichium which are easy to reach. It also grows above Rifugio de Vial del Pan beside the path up the ridge.

Soory, I should have added last week of June is favourite in the Dolomites, perhaps a week later in France.

Contribution from Geoffrey Alderton 19 March 2010, 16:47top / bottom of page

Hi John, Thank you for the info it will be a great help when I do eventualy get into the mountains, be it France, Italy or Switzerland as I have had my instructions for this year (from the wife)as to where we are going. We are going to Austria so unless The King of the Alps can be found around Saltzburgh, its The Sound of Music trip and the Vienna Philharmonic for two weeks. Thank you again for the info and hope I can put it to good use in the not to distant future.

Regards Geoff Alderton.

This discussion Thread: King of the Alps. Where and when? - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Any Other Topics
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion